A: Drive Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pjm333, Mar 29, 2006.

1. pjm333

pjm333 New Member

I have Windows XP Pro SP2 and recently had trouble with my computer freezing up at the Windows XP Pro startup screen and eventually discovered that I had a conflict with my sound card. I disable the sound card in safe mode and eventually installed new drivers. My problem is since I fixed the above problem I now get a error message at startup that says,

"Keyboard.................detected
    Legacy mouse.........detected
    USB legacy.............enabled

A: Drive error
    PRESS <DEL> TO RESUME"

I need to know how to correct this error message? My second problem is that I now have 2 Floppy drives in My Computer.

3 1/2 Floppy (A:)
    3 1/2 Floppy (B:)
    I always had the A: drive obviously but now have a B: floppy drive. How do I get rid of this drive if possible. My Floppy drive is external and the floppy drive is removed from boot sequence in the bios and removed from the device manager. Thanks

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! First of all you might want to pop into the new members forum and tell us more about yourself and so everyone can say hi!

What bios are you running? there should be an option to have 2 floppy drives but it depends on the version...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF!

It *sounds* as if there is something set wrong in the BIOS which is confusing XP. But it could equaly be a million other things! :eek:

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

It does sound as if the bios has detected 2 floppies and this is confusing Xp and giving you that message on boot. Try disabling the a: detect in BIOS. Also your A: light isnt always on is it? shouldnt be unless you've umplugged the ribbon cable and managed to reconect it wrong.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

is this one of those newcomers who leave their problems for us to solve and then never return in like weeks? hmmm...anyway like the rest check the BIOS...maybe you have whats known as Seek Floppy enabled...might want to disable this...also I am guessing you can set one floppy as master and the other as slave...thats another try...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

<Cough> Give him a break! It's been under an hour! :biggrin

But it would be useful, pjm333, to head on over to the new members section and introduce yourself!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Unplug the floppy drive altogether and reboot. It might give the BIOS and OS a chance to sort things out. Then when you are sure that there is no floppy being recognised in the OS, switch off and reconnect the floppy.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. pjm333

pjm333 New Member

Thanks for all of your replies and help. I went into the BIOS and Peripheral Configuration> Diskette Configuration and disabled Serail port A: and when I rebooted the error message stopped. Sorry I took so long to get back !!! Thanks again.

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Glad you got it sorted pjm :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

still wana bet if he will be back Harry? :dry :biggrin

11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

should of be pjm666 :twisted:

12. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

if this was the welcome i was getting, i sure wouldn't be back. :noway
    come on, man. don't slam someone for asking a question. for all you know he may become a great asset to cf. and here you are doubting him after 2 posts. 'sup with that?

13. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

sorry, my bad... :(

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

d-faktor I wasnt slamming him by any means...it was meant as a joke...but I am sure even you yourself have noticed how many new comers ask for help on a problem and then we dont see them for dust ever again...even when we suggest going to the newcomers forum and leaving a message about themselves they never do...I mean dont get me wrong its all nice they want our help and that...but at least let us know who you are where your IT skils hail from and all that...thats all...

15. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

point taken. but the joke is only "funny" to us. because you and i may know that many new members indeed won't return, but the next ignorant newbie doesn't know that. confronting him (or her) with our suspicion may not be the best way to greet someone. :(

i think cf is a very friendly community. i may not like everybody, and i'm pretty sure not everybody likes me, but overall this is a great place. i think what i'm trying to say is, that i found your remarks not very welcoming, and i was a bit taken aback by them. that's all. i'll get down from my soap box now. :oops:

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

its ok mate...no worries...:biggrin

17. pjm333

pjm333 New Member

Thanks again to everyone for there input and I am heading on over to the new members forum to introduce myself. I was very impressed with the very fast and professional help that you all gave me. Thanks again.

Pat