1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A+ Dilemma

Discussion in 'A+' started by Nick74, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Nick74

Nick74 Bit Poster

Could anyone please point me to the differences between the 600 and 700 series exams?

I have been studying for the 601/2 for what seems like an eternity, other stuff going on in life has delayed me finishing off but I feel ready to have a crack now.

On the verge of booking, but one thing in the back of my mind is that if I sit 601 and fail, it is unlikely that I would then sit it again along with 602 by the end of August. As far as I can tell there isnt a huge amount of difference in the 700 series, so I feel I may as well do that, and if I passone of the papers by the end of the month I can afford a resit on the other paper if needed. I really dont want to waste time and money getting one paper which is no use to me, so am tempted to just go for 701 anyway.

As far as I can tell the main addition to 700 is Vista, which is what I use all day every day so it isnt a massive concern for me. Anything else I would need to brush up on?

Certifications: C&G, A+
  2. Nick74

Nick74 Bit Poster

Not to worry, I have found the updated objectives on the Comptia site.

Hmm decisions decisions.

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

your cutting it fine to pass the 600 series by august 31st. Get both exams booked!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Nick74

Nick74 Bit Poster

I am going to book one or both for this weekend, plenty of space at the nearest centre. Think I will stick with 600, even if 700 throws up a few questions I cant cover its probably a few questions too many! If I fail then I will just get an updated book for 700 and do that in a month or so.

5. Shizzle

Shizzle Bit Poster

I booked mine for the 17 and 18 so that gives me a bit of time to review in case i fail, which i wont. You will have about two weeks or so to re-sit so i think that is enough time as long as you book it now.

6. Nick74

Nick74 Bit Poster

Well I took the bull by the horns, did both today, and passed both. 601 was harder than I expected and 602 easier, marks werent stunning but a pass is a pass.
    I definitely overstudied for these, I think my brain had absorbed more than I thought, but because my study has been stop/start I never really felt confident to just get on and do it. I wont make that mistake again.

I used the Mike Meyers book, along with the exam cram revision book, and as many practice tests as I could. I also found the Professor Messer site extremely helpful - there is over 30 hours of video for the 601/2, and I believe even more for the 7 series, so anyone who responds more to that kind of thing than just reading, have a look, I highly recommend it.

7. Shizzle

Shizzle Bit Poster

I keep hearing the same thing from people that passed but that does not make it any easier for us that have not taken the test yet. I am confident but not cocky. Congratulations...well done mate

8. greenbrucelee

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done. I found the 602 easier than the 601 aswell and I like you also over studied which burnt me out. I think because its most peoples first cert this is why over studying happens.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Congrats! Hard work usually pays off.....

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple