A contrast in business models

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Nov 26, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The following quote comes from an article on the financialpost.com website written by David George-Cosh. It's about Google's new venture called OpenSocial, and how Google has gone about this project. I think it highlights the differences in how Google and MS do business and thus is very interesting.

You can read the rest of the article here.

Which business model would you prefer to be used by your competitors? One which seeks to make the entire financial pie bigger, or one which seeks to make only their own slice bigger? Which one is more sustainable over long periods of time?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I've been following the opensocial thing since prior to its launch via my hooge list of RSS feeds and the idea behind it is very much in everyones best interest, that said, with Facebook being the de facto social network of choice for Generation X/Y and it being one of the ONLY social networks not to embrace open social, the battleground is set for some interesting things

from my perspective as a user, there are a few things fundamentally important to me
    a) the network must not suck, I have to enjoy being there
    b) the more people i know using it, the more i'm likely to use it! a social network that doesn't have any of my friends on it is a bit of an oxymoron

for me its the migration of the masses that interests me, when the masses jump ship and move networks, then I can really embrace it, otherwise its a network with just me and a bunch of my early adopter friends wondering where everyone else is!

OpenSocial doesn't marry up users between networks as far as I am aware, it mearly creates an open platform for applications/widgets and various bits of data to be shared, not entire membership bases

Interesting times..
    I love this industry!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0