A change of heart.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mattstevenson, Dec 14, 2008.

1. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Hello all,

A few days ago I posted this thread: http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread29796.html

Since then I've been chewing over the advice given, and looking at the certs of some of our more professional members. I've also been thinking that jumping straight up to MCSA might be a bad move, in that there's probably an ocean of knowledge between where I am now, and the typical goodMCSA techie. What I'd like to know from yourselves is the following. CCENT - a logical progression from A+ and N+? Worth anything on a CV? Does it enable an easier transition up to CCNA?

Also, with regard to the ITIL foundation cert, would it add value to my CV at this level - i.e. Make me the more attractive choice of a group of applicants?

Those are what I'm considering. I'm also looking at the Security+ cert. Really, I don't know where my interests are going to take me, or exactly what I'd like to be doing in 5,10,15 years time or beyond. What I do know however, is that I'd like to have options, and that I'd like to feel competent to carry out my tasks in whatever role I end up enjoying.

So, thoughts please?

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

OK, however while your not going to do the MCSA right now, it doesn't mean that you can't start working towards it. You've already got the elective sorted, the A+ & the network+, however by doing the 70-620 exam (Vista) and the MCDST, this will give you the MCP, MCDST & the MCTS cred.

Is the CCENT worth anything on the CV? IMO yes... However it really does depend if you want to go into that side of IT.

According to Cisco:

You may not get the networking job straight away, but it is aimed at entry-level personnel. Plus is it worth half a CCNA, but again the CCENT expires after 3 years...

As for the ITIL v3 Foundation cert, that will be a good thing for you (for anyone really) it's aimed at any level and it will give you a good grounding of ITIL knowledge for any company that uses the ITIL process.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The only problem with that statement is... network support positions aren't given to entry-level techs. It's for people who are STARTING to get into in-depth network administration... not STARTING to get into IT. No company in their right mind will allow a tech to administer Cisco gear without a good dose of experience first... and that's what's needed for the CCENT.

Pursue it if you want... but it's not going to be useful to you until you are in a position to start working with Cisco gear.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I would probably go in certs in this order

A+ for general hardware/software side of things
    MCDST for more windows based 1st line support side of things
    70-290 or 70-620 (or both) for your client OS MCSA elective

At this point you should be proficient in cleint side if you had studied and applied these skills in work, you will also have a better level of attraction to employers, when combined with your work skills/experience.

Then I would go for Network+, for a decent all round overview of networking, being non product specific this sounds like it will help you in your role.

The CCENT would be a decent option next, more so if you are using the kit, but from a learning perspective it would be useful again as it does cover a little more indepth about switching, routing, and IP addressing/subnetting and other skills which will be useful.

Then maybe go for a 70-290 exam, as if you are installing servers, this would be useful.

You could finish off the MCSA, but the 70-291 exam for someone who is not administering networks is not recommended by microsoft, but there is nothing wrong with learning and not doingthe exam.

Again as prob said before, you need to check out the prerequisites for the exams, and if you dont meet them then you run a fine line of over certifying, but I always say there is nothing wrong with using the exam materials to learn, and then when you are in a role, use the skills, show you can do things and increase your responsibilities.

And log your career as well (ie what you do everyday, and where you excel and where you could improve).

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal