A+ Certification - The Aftermath

Discussion in 'A+' started by ellttck, Jun 15, 2005.

1. ellttck

ellttck New Member

Afternoon All,

This is my first posting so firstly a big hello to you all!

I have recently embarked on the A+ Certification as a Distance Learning Course, which so far not finding too bad (mind you I have just opened the box that the disc resides in - no got to the charesteristics of ROM). Admittedly, a little concerned about what the exams are like and the duration of the course. It advises between 6-12 months - is this over cautious or is this reality??
    Also, all being well I will pass with flying colours, and the next step as advised by your goodselves is to take the Network+ exams. What are the career prospects like for people with these qualifications and do any of you know good websites to search for jobs in local areas?

Many thanks
    Elliott

WIP: A+ Certification
  2. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Hey there!

Have you had a look around the Comptia web site? it has got some good info on there.

With regards to how long it takes to study the A+ it really depends on you and the time you have to go through the training and your experience. Some people could go through it in 2/3 months others 12 months to 2 years.

A+ is considered in the industry as the first step to more advanced career opportunities and enhanced qualifications such as MCSE. But it really depends on what area of IT you want to work in!

I think Monster.co.uk/com is excelent for local jobs it also has forums and advice.

Good Luck with it!

Sarah :)

3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

A good source of jobs is usually your local paper. Most of them have one day a week were they will have a job section. Most places on the web I have looked in the past tend to be agencies, and you can't apply for the job unless you sign up with them.

Also, try the job centre, they can be a good source also.

As Sarah said, the length of time to complete the A+ is entirely down to the individual. If you have got allot of experience in hardware and software and you are good as self study, then you will go through it in no time. If the material is new to you then you will be learning new concepts and subjects and it could take a while to sink in.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Sarah that a good first step in learning about the A+ exam is CompTIA's site:

http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/default.aspx

All links in blue here are clickable to this will take you were you want to go.

I do have to say that my A+ cert has probably been the one that has gotten me the most freelance tech jobs in the past. A 6 to 12 month timeline is pretty reasonable, depending on your experience in tech, your aptitude for the material, and how quickly you learn in general. Of course, you have to put in the study and lab time. There's no substitute for studying hard and getting your hands dirty inside the PC.

Good luck. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+