A+ Cert Labs

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by iconoclassy1, Mar 23, 2008.

1. iconoclassy1

iconoclassy1 New Member

i'm looking for a lab manual for A+...i'm enrolled in a school that doesn't supply books...i purchased a cert book but i need a lab book to assist me in hands on learning...can anyone tell me where and how i can download one???

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You could buy PC Technician street smarts BY James Pyles it has lots of exercises in it that you can practice.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't think you can just download a lab manual for free...but GBL just told you how to buy one. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. iconoclassy1

iconoclassy1 New Member

I did think that I would be able to download one but I suppose not...I'll follow the advice and check it out...I definitely need a good one. Thanks for the advice.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sure, you can illegally download one... but considering there are authors on this very forum who make their living from creating study materials (books, practice exams, etc.), doing so would probably not endear you to the members here. ;)

To get high-quality training materials (legally), you'll have to spend some money. Consider it a wise investment in your IT career. Always remember: if it's worth using, it's worth buying. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Just to add to Michael's point, I recently wrote a book review for C++ GUI Programming with Qt4 for a sister forum. Even though I "advertised" the review on Linux.com and LXer.com, I noticed that it had a pretty high number of hits and wondered if another site had picked it up and posted it. I did a Google search to find out and to my dismay, I discovered a fairly large number of torrent sites where you could illegally download the contents of this brand new book (and yes, several other sites had linked to my review, accounting for the large number of hits in just a few days).

I'd had other people point out to me that one or more of my books has been illegally made available for download and I notified the publisher. Sadly, there's not a lot they can do about, even though it's taking the bread out of their families mouths and mine.

Sure, it's nice to be able to download quality resources from the web for free...but it's only nice if they're licensed in such a way that they're legally available for free download (I recently ran across a book on Python that's freely available for download under the GNU Free Documentation License, but that's the only way I'd download such a resource).

Purchasing resources is an investment in your career and in the future. Playing by the rules is the right thing to do. Thanks.

8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

What on earth are you doing reviewing C++ books trip ? Can anyone get in on the free books for reviews racket ? :biggrin

Computer books don't all cover arrays, they come in many variants, beginner books do cover alot of basic fundamentals like operators, variables, arrays and control structures because this is the traditional approach to learning programming. You will see the same in your python tutorials.

Playing with widget toolkits or RAD tools may seem more fun and to the point, but without a good understanding of the fundamentals of the language you won't get very far. Also not all apps are built soley on widgets, what happens when you need your own custom widget ?

This looks like an intermediate book which is why it covers more interesting ground. I can't really see any reason for using Qt in Java since you already have Swing and SWT.

Last project I was on that used Qt (a long time ago now) moved back to the native widgets, although Qt does seem to perfrom well from a user perspective these days.

Qt's had a mixed history in the Linux world because of its use for the KDE desktop and they had a proprietary non open source licensing model. It was finally GPL'd properly in 2005 according to Wikipedia.

You can also look at FLTK which is based on OpenGL.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Cheeky b@st@rd, aren't I? :twisted: