A Career in IT

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by simongrahamuk, Nov 6, 2005.

1. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

While I agree with the 'triangle' of experience, education, and certifications, during an interview your best bet is communication. Looking your prospective employer or interviewer in the eye is a great start, especially with a firm handshake. Funny, but the old-school stuff still applies, as does the first impression. Sometimes, if you are qualified enough to make it through HR, and land an interview, then two of those three (the triangle) are dust. Now, the question of experience is brought to the front. Still, they probably wouldn't talk to you unless you have some of the skillset they are looking for.

In my last interview, my resume spoke for itself. My 'professional' IT experience was on the slim side, and I didn't blow myself out of proportion. I figured that if I was going to get a job, it was going to be on my actual current abilities. Being 37, I have plenty of work experience, and I speak very well, if a bit self-deprecating at times. Unfortunately, this comes off as a bit shy in confidence, but hey, it is what it is. I can only be confident in what I know, and I will strive to know it if I feel inadequate. Regardless, I just needed a shot to make my career change complete.

What was the kicker? Communication. Period. My employer was very impressed with my honesty and forthrightness, and my genuine exuberance to make a decision halfway through life to tackle a completely different line of work. Something of note: although you shouldn't bounce off the walls, excitement and interest in your future job and company is the greatest thing to display. For me, I'm a normally low-key dude, but when talking to my managers, they saw what I'd hoped to display -- a sincere desire to grow in any opportunity they could provide. That's the job I'm in now.

Other interviews didn't fare so well, and some were with interrogation groups. On one, a gang of 6 managers in a college system peppered me me fastballs, curveballs, and changeups, all sorts of technical questions and scenarios, to which I banged each one over the fence. Extremely agonizing, but I did it while remaining calm. Too calm, I guess, because they chose someone else, and offered me the position to manage the entire support group. Huh??!? Yep, I turned 'em down. I need to be confident in the system, and the staff, before I can run the joint, and I feel more comfortable knowing things from the ground up. Besides, I want to get my hands dirty in IT, not manage people.

Bottom line? There is a fine line to walk in any interview. Be calm, but not smug. Confident, but not arrogant. Humble, but not meek. Interested, but not over-the-top. Firm, but not too tight. Basically, be all things, but not everything. My employer, and I know this for a fact, hired me because they felt I was malleable, and very communicative -- not technically superior in all ways. You know what they said about technical stuff? We can teach you that. Amen to that :biggrin

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  2. bigyin1979

bigyin1979 New Member

On the subject of work placement I believe that this is one of the best avenues into your first IT post. I know this from personal experience as I did a placement while studying a government run City and Guilds IT Support course which in turn led to me getting my first IT Helpdesk role straight after the course was completed. This led to a promotion to the NT eradication project that I now currently work in.

So all in all I would highly recommend a work placement if this is financially viable for you, because in my opinion it shows a unique desire to learn and make inroads into this industry, short term pain long term gain.

I would also like to advocate the posts in regards to always keeping a professional demeanour at all times. In my opinion one of the most overlooked reasons for this is that most employers are answering to someone. In this I mean they want to hire someone that will give a good impression of them. If you think about it if they hire you and you do not meet up to expectations, it may not be you that is answering to someone, but also the person who has introduced you to the company in the first place.

Although a meek point I feel that is probably the main reason you have to try and cover all bases probably presentation and communication coming at the top since they are the most tangible assets any of us will display in an interview/application scenario.

Anyway just thought I would add some opinions and information to what already is a very enlightening post.

Cheers,

Gary

WIP: MCSE
  3. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

yep, as always lots of info on these boards. I have nothing much to add apart from reading posts like this set me in the right frame of mind for hunting down and scoring that elusive first IT job. I know I'm in for a long slog!

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA