A+ by National IT Learning Centre price

Discussion in 'A+' started by Slav, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Slav

Slav New Member

Can anybody tell me is it good to take that course by nitlc and how much exactly money do i have to spend on it?

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No, it's not.
    I wouldn't touch them.
    There's better, there's cheaper and then there's self study.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Slav

Slav New Member

Well i'm little afraid of self study that's why i'm looking for some good training provider. I just want to make sure that i don't miss anything. So can you recommend better company... I was asking in local Pitman Training Office and they told me that taking A+ course will cost me about 2000-3000 pounds. That's like nonono for me :). I'm looking for sth like 500 including exams :D

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Are you sure thats 2000-3000 pounds for JUST the A+ ?

If so, it's way more than I would be comfortable paying for. Some seem to offer deals with A+ and other certs for that kind of money... Just get an A+ book, it won't cost you much, and start reading. Invest 2 weeks into it, +3 hours a day and then look back at your study time and ask yourself the question if you'll really need sa class to study the rest or are you able to finish this on your own. With a decent amount of studying every day, you should get a good grasp after 1-2 months, maybe even pass the exam after that period of time (but do come back and ask us what practice exams to try before you attempt the final exam).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Think you'll find that's A+, N+ and mcsa

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Slav

Slav New Member

ok you convinced me :) i'm starting to look into self-study thread :)

7. free-advice

free-advice Nibble Poster

JonnyMX

Can I ask if you have had any dealings with NITLC?

I worked for them for a number of years and and know them pretty well.

Your quote 'There's better' can you tell us who?
    Your quote 'There's cheaper' yes self study, but it's not for everyone!

Leave the TP's alone, what have they ever done to you.

I thought this site was growing out of bashing TP's

FA

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dude... if you're gonna act like this every time someone advocates self-study over training providers, you're in for a miserable time on this forum. :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I, personally, will never 'grow out of' telling people if I think they're being ripped off. Someone with no prior IT experience should not be signing up for an MCSA course (and many try to dupe their 'customers' into an MCSE course)
    Personally, I find most TPs (at the entry level) to be unethical, immoral and just plain, downright con artists.
    Do you want us to stop TP bashing or stop telling the truth and let lots more people be conned by these evil b******s who don't give a s**t about people, unless they have a good enough credit rating to take out a loan to pay WAY over the odds for something that anyone without learning difficulties can do themselves.
    Here's some free-advice to anyone thinking about starting a career in IT. Try self-study first! The are some reputable TPs but none of the reputable lot will try to sell you courses years above your experience level.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I can answer those questions 1. there's better. Answer: Yourself or a college/university
    2. There's cheaper. Answer: Yourself or a college/University
    Most of these TPs charge for a range of course which cost more than a degree

Most TPs I have seen and heard use sales people who know nothing about anything when it comes to giving proper advice on what people should study.

They overcertify people for their experience level

They offer people guarantees of jobs then regain on that offer with some crap excuse like you don't live in the correct geographical area or some twaddle like that.

They over charge people

They provide material that is inadequate or taken from authors but change it enough so they dont get done on copyright issues (like the thread the other day with the guy who has the AIO but no answers to the review questions in it).

Some provide so called lab classes which are always miles away from anyone studying their course so they can't attend.

Their help and support lines are manned by douches who read from a script so it sounds like they are professional.

Some TPs provide their students with braindumps which the student uses unaware that they risk being decertified because of it.

Now if I could be bothered I could provide you with links about the above statements because they have come from threads I have seen on this forum and remember reading about them.

I could go on but fear the owners of CF my have to invest in some new hard drives and I would always state that if someone can't self study then they should look at a college atleast then you know who is teaching you is actually a qualified person and not some rtard behind a computer being paid minimum wage to read from a script.

Here endeth the lesson :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, I wasn't actually TP bashing.
    If you've read any of my previous posts on the subject you'll find I'm pretty much on the fence on the subject and I believe that some people do benefit from the,er, guidance that TPs provide.

I've used a TP myself in the old days and everything worked out very well for me. But I have also read plenty of posts here from people who haven't.

To be honest, 90% of the time I blame the student, but when I say so I get a row for 'student bashing'. :biggrin

Most TPs are careful to stay within the T&Cs that they lay down so they don't technically do anything wrong.
    However, neither are they particularly bothered if a student does no work, never calls and never does an exam. That's the student's decision. And if the student is apathetic enough to just sit at home and feel sorry for themselves then that's their problem.

In answer to your question, I knew some people who used to work for NITLC so I got the behind the scenes story, which I'm not going to make public here... :biggrin
    You may recognise the names. 8)

As a salesman, I would suspect that you were heavily influenced by the promotional guff and the only way that you would have been able to do your job with any moral integrity would be not to look too deeply at what went on amongst the students. After all, it's easy to tell prospective students that 97.5% of your students are happy when that's what it says in the brochure - but not so easy after you've spent a week in the customer services department.

That's not a go at you personally by the way. I respect the fact that you have joined this forum to give advice and have been open and honest about your history.

But if you really have worked for all the TPs that you claim, then you are in the unique position to compare them and offer advice here to potential students as to which are good and which are not so good. That would be your field of expertise as it were - but you don't seem to want to do it. You can't just be a self-appointed moderator and sit there telling people to calm down. :biggrin

12. free-advice

Hi JonnyMX

I worked for NITLC for 7 years before I retired. The are based in Newark, you are based in Newport.

I am 99.9 certain you do not know anyone who worked for them and know about 'behind the scenes' stuff.

Please PM me with the names of the people you know if you do not want to make their names public.

I have given members here advice on who is good and who is bad, via PM's as I don't want to open up a slanging match.

Regarding Computrain, I have no experience on them, so cannot comment. All I can do is read threads on here which do not sound very good. However if a guy has paid for a course and has passed his cooling off period and has no way of getting a refund, we need to support them and help them through the course.

This is were you guys come in as I am not qualified in your areas.

I will look forward patiently for your PM.

FA

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's right - I've never met anyone from outside Newport. :biggrin

We were talking about NITLC, not Computrain. No one could expect you to have knowledge of someone you've never worked for. I'm not having a go, all I'm saying is that you've picked me up for criticising them and challenged my right to do so. All I'd like to do is turn that round and ask you to tell us why somebody should study with them, based on your personal experience. That would be far more useful to forum members than me going on about things I don't know about.

No worries. 8)

14. free-advice

Ah, my apologies, I got the threads mixed up!

Ok I'll give you my personal opinion on NITLC and their training methods.

I worked for NITLC on and off for 7 years.

In that 7 years, I also worked for a few others, but always came back to NITLC.

NITLC are by far the best TP out there. Now this is not just their training methods, this is also how the salesmen are trained to sell their courses.

Training Methods
    The courses are blended learning courses. This means you study at home, then attend a workshop. The tutorial support staff are excellent and all fully qualified as welll as a great recruitment support department. over that 7 years I have had students who I enrolled gain employment in IT and phone me personally to thank me for the information I gave before their course started. I know this has also happen to all salesmen who have worked for them.

Ok, not everyone who enrols on a course finds it a success, this is becasue they do not put the effort in and never pick up a book. What can NITLC do about that..........not a lot.

Salesmen
    All of NITLC's salesmen are trained to offer advice on a course that the individual requires. They DO NOT gaurentee jobs, they DO NOT gaurentee passes, they DO NOT tell tjem they will earn £45k in 6 months, and every salesmen explains to the student that the courses are not easy. They require hell of a lot of self discipline and self motivation. Every pitfall is explained in full and the student has to go into with the eyes wide open. I always advised them to visit the centre before they enrol to get a good feel for NITLC and speak to the tutors and recruitment staff.

I knew when I enrolled a student on a course the support they received was magnificent.

15. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

self study ftw

16. ms5er

ms5er Bit Poster

Stick with Self study, I have had dealings with NITLC - they are just as bad as any other training provider.

17. Jonathan Borley

Jonathan Borley New Member

HI,

This is my 1st post and I want to start a career in IT, and need HELP!?!?!? I am thinking about self-studying after reading some of the forums about TP's. What would be the best books and CD/DVD's to help me along the way? Am I going the right way of self-studying? (if not) what TP's are the very best out there?

Any help would be great.

Jonathan:rolleyes:

18. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Hi Jonathan, check out college's, universities and the OU ! :D

19. ITtech

ITtech Bit Poster

Almost all training schools claim to have the "best" training program. They have the "best" instructors, best facility etc.

The main problem with the training providers is that they place students in program which they do not qualify for. How can you put a career changer into a MCSA or MCSE program?

I don't know of any TP which have a unique program which really prepares a person who is looking to make a career change. A+, Network+, MCSA, MCSE, MCSDT programs tracks are common and there is nothing unique about it.

It is the wrong approach. I ran a training school for 7 years and I know how most training providers work. In the late 90s it was not hard for a beginner to get their MCSE cert (and the cert was the transcender exam word for word) and get a job making 50k+ due to the shortage of qualified pros. Those days are long gone!

I belive in training providers if they have something of value to offer from which a person can really benifit from.

Certifications: A+, Network+, CNA, MCSE, CCNA, MCT
  20. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sure you're not getting mixed up with TestKing? :blink

Anyway, if anyone wants another reason not to spend £xk on a TP, just search for recent threads on 'Advent'.