A+ book for non certification

Discussion in 'A+' started by Phoenix, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I have a guy on my team that's keen on understanding more about technology (he's one of the sales guys on the solutions teams)

He's happy to admit at the moment he knows very little, and doesn't try to kid anyone about it, he is however keen to learn, and I told him I would be happy to help

Are any of you aware of a decent A+ book that's useful for those not just pursuing the cert?
    Does the famous Meyers book go into enough detail about theory? If so then I'll get one ordered, just wanted to see what those of you who have recently read these books think first :)

Cheers

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

glad to hear some non-IT people are getting interested!

I think the Mike Meyers 5th edition (for 2003 objectives) would be perfect for this task - after I've passed I'm passing the book to my grandfather who is keen to read it. He has no desire to take any exams, but is still keen to fill the gaps in his knowledge. Admittedly though, he does know the inside of a computer and Windows pretty well, so may be just a refresh for him.

If the company is paying for the book, grab it, if he's buying it - maybe £30 new is too steep - maybe a 2nd hand 5th edition can be found cheaper...

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Depends on what he wants to know. Just a skimming of the facts, so he can level with the techies without al the details: A+ for dummies might be a start. It is by far not enough for the exam, but it has the info.
    On the other end of the scale I find "upgrading and repairing PC's" (or Laptops or servers; there are more books in this series).
    You will even find the pingrid layout of your processor here.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Street Smarts?

5. iain14

iain14 Bit Poster

i think the A+ for dummies is the one he needs its very simple and easy to follow.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: CCNA,
  6. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

The 6th edition Mike Meyers book has sections called 'History/Coneptual', these bits take whatever the chapter is about and explains it in its simplest form, often with an even easier to understand analogy

but i havnt read the A+ for dummies

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Im another one for upgrading and repairing pc's, if hes wanting loads of detail, then thats a great book, otherwise the MM book will be fine.:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

yeah, i'd go with Trips - there are more *real* exercises and not just exam objectives.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think Ryan mentioned that he was looking for a book with theory in it. The Street Smarts series by definition, is all about practical exercises. If he wants a "once over" probably the dummies book would be best. If he wants grueling details, "upgrading and repairing" is the way to go.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd still recommend Meyers' book over A+ for Dummies.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

I'd second the MM book, however, I found that the A+ Passport (also by Meyers) is a great summary of his All-In-One book. Its cheaper also, but very resourceful by getting to the point and telling you what you need to know, since it deletes the over technical and "too-deep" info packed in the All-In-One book. I'd recommend it to ANYONE. I'd also recommend Faster Smarter A+ Certification by Drew Bird and Mike Harwood (Microsoft Press). A+ for Dummies isnt bad either. These are just the simple top selections. If you also want something more practical with theory in the background, then the Sybex A+ Complete Lab Manual is the book to get.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  12. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

I read the A+ for dummies 2003 edition before starting my meyers book.....gives a good general knowledge of things but nowhere near as much depth as Meyers book.

Still got my copy lying around, if you want it for a few quid let me know.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA