A bizzare exerience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by liam evans, Nov 11, 2010.

1. liam evans

liam evans New Member

Hi,

I just want to share a bizzare exerience I had with an IT recruitment company which I shall not name. I applied for an IT Support Analyst position that was advertised by this IT recruitment company on behalf of one of their clients. However, I shortly recieved a telephone call from one of their employers who wanted to check my suitability for the position, but I didn't like his tone and the way he was asking questions in a provoking manner.

He had asked me what my hobbies were and during this conversation I mentioned that I supported Manchester United as I said I liked football. However, he then started questioning me why I supported them coz I don't live there, why i don't support a local team, why I haven't watch them play at the stadium, I am a glory hunter etc.. (and he never allowed me to give a response as he just kept cutting me off when i tried to answer and he kept asking these type of questions in a provoking manner). I then heard him laughing with his colleagues in the background as they must have thought this was amusing.

After the phone call, I was left shocked at why this had taken place as I have not experienced something like this and felt it was inappropriate. However, after thinking about it, the job that I applied for requires excellent telephone communication skills and I wonder if it was his way of testing me as to whether I would snap and shout back or whether I would remain calm/professional (which I did).

I just wanted to know what other people think off this, or was he just mocking me as he was really confrontational with his questions that were not related to the job at all.

2. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I think that's rude and I would've hung up to be honest. I wouldn't want to work with an agency like that test or not.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Some interviewers like to test your resolve by challenging your beliefs and seeing how you stand up for yourself. That would probably depend on the type of job/company and I guess wouldn't be the case for an IT admin position.

Chances are, he was just a tw@t.

Working for a recruitment consultant, he was probably a fat ex-car salesman who couldn't interview a biscuit. He was sat at a sticky desk with a list of targets to achieve, such as phoning a certain number of people per hour. There probably wasn't even a job at the end of it, and he was just verifying that you were a real contact and still looking for work. And he probably knew that he wasn't going to be there at the end of the month anyway, having failed to meet any of his targets.

Some people just don't experience job satisfaction.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Are ex-car salesmen fat and bad at interviewing then?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Weird, did you catch the guys name? Call him back and start shouting at him. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well that was very unprofessional of him.

You should have said.. if this were me interviewing you, which in a way it is. I can tell you right now, you have failed this interview. :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes, quite possibly.
    I know many of them...

Interview skills are not the main requirements for a car salesman.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

Absolutely! Interviews are always a two way process!

Certifications: ITIL v3
    WIP: CCENT