a basic subnetting question

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kobem, Sep 29, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Ahem, Harry. The one network address Kobem has given is a class B network address. Even if it was a single Class C network address it could be broken down using subnetting, and he'd still only have the one network address block. I think this is just another time where Kobem knows so little about the subject that he can't ask a coherent question.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

please answer this?

Certifications: CCNA
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have answered an earlier posting - which you haven't commented on yet.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Kobem, I think it's you who aren't quite comprehending the situation. Unless you subnet the 192.168.0.0 network, you won't have three separate networks, just one. Also, the way you have your diagram laid out, network 1 shouldn't really be a network. It's the connection between the two routers and given that you're using a private address, it would probably be a LAN link. You would then subnet the 192.168.0.0 network address into two networks (network 2 and network 3). You have host a as belonging to network 2 and host b as belonging to network 3. I have no idea what the links with question marks next to them are supposed to represent. All they could be is some sort of network host like a PC, printer, switch, etc...

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

He said he has to do it WITHOUT subnetting and using only a single network address. What I don't understand is WHY he cant subnet. If he could then the answer is simple. READ THE CHAPTER ON SUBNETTING, et voilà. :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  6. ffreeloader

Why does he think he can't subnet? Because I don't think he understands what subnetting is. His posts show so little knowledge of the subject that it's impossible to know where/how to help him.

7. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Very, Very True my Friend.
    I learned about this kind of thing from the web, but as you know, you cannot understand sub-netting without understanding IP address ranges in general. It seems to be a common problem for Kobem to start at the basics doesn't it.

Kobem. Look into IP address ranges first and then you will have a better chance at understanding sub-netting. Your question has been answered multiple times already in this very thread. Good luck. :D

8. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Okay, a typo - it doesn't really alter what I posted - the idea Kobem proposes is nonsense, in line with most of his posts. But if you insist:

I think this is a question for god - as with only one network address and without subnetting, to create three networks is a problem god alone knows how to solve...

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  9. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

you get me wrong all times , i know how to subnet but the thing i have to learn is that if i do not subnet
    with one network address i would assign it only one of the 3 links according to schema?

so subnet is needed but again "i explain if i do not subnet " OK?

10. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

question marks are question from point of my view and they could be 192.168.0.0 or not?

11. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

What do you mean by "links" and "schema".?

12. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Kobem, I'll ask again. Can you post the question from the book/assignment you are using.??

13. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

schema is the pic i have sent here (handdraw)

links are the network 1 , 2, and 3

14. ffreeloader

If you don't subnet, you can't do it. It's that plain and simple. Your question has already been answered. Harry already told you to throw out the routers and use switches. Routers are used to break networks up into subnets and provide communication between the subnets. That's their main purpose and exactly how they are designed to function, and do function. You can not force them to function in some way in which they are not designed to work.

15. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Sorry to interrupt. Would the switches function as bridges, i.e filter traffic by MAC address??
    Just a question for ME really. :oops:

16. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

yeah they will .Also they are more powerful than bridges and they include multiple ports, differs from bridges
    on that way

17. ffreeloader

At a very basic level a simple switch is just an intelligent hub, but instead of mindlessly broadcasting all traffic to all ports it has the intelligence to remember what mac address traffic is coming from which port so it can intelligently send the traffic to the correct port. Now, I'm sure someone will point out the different levels of networking and how switches can do so much more than just that, but for a beginner's understanding of networking that's what a switch is and does.

A switch runs at level 2(mac addresses). A router runs at level 3(IP addresses, subnet masks, network addresses). A hub runs at level one(the physical level). It has no ability to read packets.

Here's a Wiki link to a definition of a bridge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_bridge

18. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

So Kobem could use a level 2 switch? It doesn't ACTUALLY create a separate network though does it.

Kobem. If you post the actual Book/Assignment question, exactly how it appears, then maybe people could help more.

19. ffreeloader

No. That's why it's appropriate for a network with only one network address block.

20. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I am confused now... I am studying Network +, and my N+ Passport book says 192 to 223 is a class C. Can you also have 192.168 as a Class B and, if so, how?