A+ advice

Discussion in 'A+' started by Manstomar, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Manstomar

Manstomar New Member

Well Looking at the many places that are offering this course, ive come across two that have any interest at the moment

One is Computeach, but frankly from what ive heard on here and many other forums, im not keen anymore depsite my interview with their salesperson next week. The other is ICSlearning

Icslearning course has a couple of payment options, which would suit my needs and is a lot lot cheaper.

However i know that the course is distance learning......and not sure if this is the best route for doing a+. im baffled:S

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Manstomar, you might be better off by picking up an A+ book and reading it at home to start with. This way you see what it's all about without the initial outlay for a training provider. 2 books are usually recommended here, being the Mike Meyers All in one A+ and the Sybex A+ (can't think of the name now, by David Groth) 3rd edition. A quick search on Amazon will find them for you or try the links in the A+ resources thread. HTH.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Manstomar, I echoe what Nugget is saying. You really need to ask yourself how much you know about general PC maintenance. If your a complete novice then maybe doing the Cisco IT essentials 1 course would be a good idea. This is run at loads of colleges and is basically an A+ course runby Cisco. Also it will cost only about £50 or less to do. It's worth checking out. If you are familiar with PC's then get a good book (I used the Sybex A+ Deluxe book which was really good) read it through twice making notes and go sit the exams.

To be honest doing an expensive course for the A+ is a waste of money as it isn't that hard with a bit of graft...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. Manstomar

Manstomar New Member

Thanks for the replies, im pretty familiar with computers, one of those people that if something goes wrong with my pc ill spend hours trying to fix it rather than call out "experts". I'm worried about parting with my money with these "training providers" ive done a couple of crappy courses in the past with places like learndirect and found them a waste of time, clickling page after page after page is a bit blah to me.

Ive taught myself the basics of Html, and installed a couple of things in my pcm rather than shelling out money for a course.....and was just wondering mainly whether if i had a old pc to work on and grafted at the a+this would be better than any classroom experience costing me a bomb........Im in enough debt as it is and the costs of computeach scare me :blink

5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Manstomar, you have just answered your own question. If you are ok around a PC then self study is the way forward for doing the A+. As with anything PC related you can't beat handson experience so if you can get a PC to mess around with then go for it. Splashing £2000-£3000 on doing the A+ is a major waste of money as to be honest A+ is good to have but just isn't a major cert compared to say having an MCSE. The exams aren't that hard as long as you do a bit of research and practice you should be just fine.

The guys around here will help out with any questions you have. Invest in a good book. I used the Sybex one which was excellent but I've also heard the Mike Myers one is excellent as well. Buy one of them from Amazon and away you go...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011