A+ 4 weeks

Discussion in 'A+' started by Alan Clinch, Jan 30, 2006.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Been looking through the objectives of the A+ course, there is a lot of stuff I have forgotten over the years. :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I would say it is definately do-able in 4 weeks, if that's all you do.

It took me just over 4 weeks to pass my O.S and Hardware from beggining it, but by the end, i was a gibbering wreck. It actually took me 6 weeks of not studying at all, for me to be able to concentrate again.

Do-able, but definately not advisable.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  3. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I've been at my study book and various training aids for a month now.I've read the 'All in One',making bullet notes as I go along and taking the end of chapter tests.I've watched the CBT videos and I'm about to invest in some Transender products to see exactly where i'm at in terms of readiness for the exams proper.

A month of endless reading and sometimes painfully slow intake of all the facts,figures,diagrams and configurations has resulted in an overall average test score (averaged from 22 x10 question tests) of 70% (it was actually 69.xxxx!!!!!).I have downloaded the free demo version of the Transcender core-cert package and must admit to being a little stumped from the start!!By this I mean the level of knowledge that is tested in Transcenders tests is far above that of the tests given in the 'All in One' book.

To cut a long story short (I do have a tendency to waffle on i'm afraid) I would be tempted to purchase Transcenders exam packages and use them as a 'last minute' cram session before your examination,unless of course you are confident of passing on this occasion and I sincerely hope that you do.Go get the free demo from Transcender to see what I'm referring to exactly and I wish you every success with your examinations.

Celia wrote.. just passed my Core Hardware exam on Tuesday 14th Feb with a score of 680....

Well done Celia and well done on the 680 score,anything above 515 is a winning number in my books.. :wink: :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ Network+
  4. Alan Clinch

Alan Clinch Bit Poster

Well to be honest studying aint been going to well. Had some personal issues which mean I really only have this week to study now. Not really started on the book yet.

Im gonna give it a go anyways see what happens. Gonna make sure I do 3 hours a night and 3 hours Friday morning.

If I fail which looks highly likely, it will just make me more determined.

Well done on passing

Certifications: A+, DCSE
    WIP: MCSE 70-290
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Best of luck, swat up as much as possible.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Celia

Celia Bit Poster

I read through what I needed to revise in 10 days, but I'm a slow reader and I did read everything not just exam specific. I also used paper markers with the subject on them to mark each of the sections I needed to read so I could see at glance where I was, and removed them as I completed each one. And I read up on my weaker areas first, so I could go back and reread if I had time. Do take the time to get organised and decide which sections you need to read. As you only have a limited time it will pay dividends in the end.

Skip the command line and OS stuff you won't need it for hardware. If you read the exam specific sections then with any prior knowledge you already have that should be enough. If you've got time, go back and read some of the other stuff. Also give yourself a short ten minute break every hour or so, get up and walk around, have a cup of tea, etc. You'll find it does wonders for your ability to keep going.

I honestly thought I would fail, but I didn't I passed and if I can do it anyone can. I was in a complete funk a week before I took it, so convinced I was gonna fail I was on the brink of reschedueling it. But then I shook myself out of it, told myself to stop procrastinating and get on with it. So I locked my door, refused to answer phonecalls, worked out a schedule for getting through the revision and finished the night before the exam. On time.

What it did for me was solidify the knowledge I already had and expanded my understanding of how PCs work. It's well worth reading it all if you can. I'm actually going to read through some of the sections again before I take my OS exam.

Just take your time reading the questions on the exam (I read them twice) and if you don't know an answer or are unsure of it right away you can tick the question for review and go back to it at the end of the exam and change it if necessary. You've got 90 minutes for 80 questions. Plenty of time.

Keep a positive mental additude, do the work and you'll pass. Good luck. :biggrin

Certifications: BSc, PGCE(1) 16+, ECDL, A+
    WIP: MCDST & N+
  7. Alan Clinch

Alan Clinch Bit Poster

Well I passed with a score 679. Some of the questions are totally bemusing. I couldn't believe some of them, honestly.
    Type of question where you could have use of the internet and the meyers book during the exam and still get them wrong. Bit of a joke to honest a uni or a college just would not allow it. But if thats the way they do it then everyone has to put up with it.

Certifications: A+, DCSE
    WIP: MCSE 70-290