A+ 2006 and MCE

Discussion in 'A+' started by Chris-H, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Chris-H

Chris-H Bit Poster

Hi All

I've been working towards my A+ cert using the MM book for 2003 objectives however I've now realised that I'm not going to be in the position to pass both exams by March 2007.

After reading the 2006 objectives I note that knowledge of Win 95/98/ME appear to no longer be required as it refers to only 2000,XP and MCE.

As I've used computers for many years my knowledge of 9x and ME is pretty much sound and I'm comfortable with 2000/XP however I have never used MCE.

My understanding is that MCE is based on XP but has a glorified front end. Will knowledge of XP and treating MCE as XP be enough to get me though or should I think about buying a copy of MCE?

Thanks

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

IMHO MCE is as close to XP pro as you can possibly get, in other words, I see no difference apart from the fact that it has a pretty awesome media centre application. It's like media player on steroids.

There isn't much to learn about media centre, even the experts have trouble getting it to play nicely with specific hardware. The complexities of the media centre component are way above the level of knowledge required for the A+.

MCE media centre is not the front end. The Windows GUI is the same as XP Pro, it's only when you click on the media centre icon, that the front end graphics changes to something which is more user friendly to those using remote control and watching on a large screen. When you close media centre you are back to XP.

It's just another application that plays media files and it is very closely linked to the normal Windows media player. There isn't actually much you can configure, as the Media centre GUI is quite limited as far as config goes. If it doesn't work which is quite often the case, you will find yourself immersed in the registry and pulling your hair out - that is why I believe there is not much they could ask in an A+ exam.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Chris-H

Chris-H Bit Poster

Thanks Bluerinse, makes more sense now. I didn't realise you could have a 'normal' desktop on MCE as all the screenshots I've seen show the media application/component.

4. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I'm studying for this one as well, haven't got a 2006 study guide yet but I've been reading over my Mike Meyers 2003 book. I have a Sybex 2006 book in the post should arrive any day now :biggrin

Someone who recently passed both Essentials and IT technician mentioned they used GTS Learning, who have a free download (have to subscribe to a mailing list) mini guide you can get here:

http://www.gtslearning.com/newaplus/minimanual.htm

On page 47 of the guide it mentions MCE saying that it cannot be upgraded to from a previous version of Windows, comes on 2 CDs and cannot join a domain :ohmy

If anything else I think it may have some specific hardware requirements that regular XP doesn't. I don't think they'll ask much more, but I haven't got my 2006 book yet... Maybe someone who has taken the exam can shed more light.

Cramsession also have some condensed free study guides (have to register) that might shed more light:

Essentials

IT Technician

Hope this helps!

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is a common misconception and your statement might be the right answer for the exam. However, it is possible for XP MCE to join a domain (mine is) but you must do this during windows setup. The option is not there once windows is installed.

6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Do you know of anyway around this once you have installed or is that the only way? Im only askin coz i got 2 raptors today, and was just gonna use an image to install my OS, but i might do a clean install and enable that, if its the only way i can. Cheers

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I believe it's the only way :ohmy

8. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Damn, gutted. :cry: Cheers

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house