A+ 2003 vs 2006

Discussion in 'A+' started by monk1975, Aug 28, 2007.

1. monk1975

monk1975 New Member

Hi Guys,

This is my first post but I've been following the forums for a while and found it to be a great source of info.

I've just finished Mike Meyers All in One A+ Certification (2003) and went to book my exams. It turns out that in the time between me buying this book and finishing it that Comptia have stopped this exam and have moved onto the 2006 exams.

This is just bad timing for me, I must have bought this book a month before the exams swapped over! I've picked up an A+2006 in depth guide and am going to skim it for new things. I was just wondering if there are any subjects I should pay particular attention too? Are there any topics that come up a lot in exams or am I going to have to skim?

Certifications: 70-271
    WIP: 70-272, A+ Essentials and 220-602
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, the info has been out there since early-to-mid 2006... the new exams have been available for a long time now. Plus, the old exams were originally going to expire in Dec '06 in the US and Mar '07 in the UK.

You can certainly go to CompTIA's Web site here and download the objectives for the 2003 and 2006 objectives and compare them. However, there's a big flaw in that plan. Although you will be able to pick out the major new objectives, you won't be able to quickly realize which areas contain new content.

For example... both 2003 and 2006 objectives cover CPUs. If you compared the 2003 objectives to the 2006 objectives, you might think that you're good to go for CPUs. But consider the processors that were available back in 2003, and how much that technology has changed since then. The new books will contain that information; the old books will not.

I have no idea how good/bad the InDepth guide is. I would have recommended that you get the All-in-One 6th edition. Since you're used to the 5th edition, it might be easier and faster to skim than the InDepth guide since you've seen Meyers' information presented in that way already.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!