9box says hi and hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by 9box, Feb 1, 2006.

1. 9box

9box Bit Poster

Howdi doodi to all. :D
    South london dude who dont look so cool now, having already shelled out shed loads for ecdl,mcse. security+ etc. And finding that ive already stumbled by twice! failing the access bit (sorry MODULE) of the ecdl, is there any hope for me? They made it sound so easy, "you'll easilly complete your course inc of prof quals with your background in electrics" I really wished id seen you guys b4. I did not ask a single one of the questions that i've been advised to here. the training centre is a zillion miles away from were i live and it costs a bomb just to get there to be sitting there with h/phones stuck to my ears, shucks i can do that at home!!!!!!!

2. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF! Sorry I have never sat the ECDL but i am sure someone here has and will be along shortly. You will ne in good hands here. Are you doing this with a training provider if so who?

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  3. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi welcome to CF! I did my ICDL/ECDL in 2002 so im going to try did deep to remember Access. The ECDL was designed to educated the world in IT and its passable by anyone and everyone.. its just how much you want to pass... a factor for you could be your disliking to travelling so far away. :( BUT there is hope for you matey!!!! I suggest you buy a book on access stick to the real basic intro stuff cause thats what they will test you on... do some hands on exercises on your home pc and this time go into the exam confident!

Good luck! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Greetings from another South Londoner 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Howdy! :biggrin

7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forums :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hello and welcome!

I'm currently doing ECDL - more out of interest to see what is involved that actualy needing it.

In fact - I've just got to the Access module, and in the book I am using as a 'training aid' this module is the biggest.

I suspect that the difficulty lies with the fact that as well as needing to learn to drive the Access interface you need to learn database fundamentals as well.

I am perhaps fortunately placed in that my job entails dealing with 'real' databases, so this side isn't a problem. However I still feel that this module is the hardest so far, but this may partly be that out of all the Office apps it is the only one I've never attempted to use in the past!

It might be well worth getting a book to give you a different viewpoint on the subject. I often find that gets me past a rough point in learning. Make sure the book matches the version of Office you are training with/taking the tests on.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. 9box

9box Bit Poster

Hi Harry,

I am doing the Access module of the ecdl which consists of an "interactive cd" tho ok, cus i've never actually used access b4 it is slightly irksome that i cannot get/afford/see the programme so as 2b able to "play" with it, like i could with word or excell, which i enjoyed, and passed. I guess i'll just have to persevere. Thanks tho for your words of encouragement.

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, 9box. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. hbroomhall

Er - you should *definitely* try and find a copy of Office! I would find it next to impossible to do these modules without practising on an actual working copy!

Computer fairs often have cheap debundled 'OEM' copies of Office at reasonable prices.

Harry.

12. 9box

9box Bit Poster

Just had a quick look and as i thought, I have got ( i hope ) MS Office 2003 which has ms office excell 2003, ms office Power Point 2003, ms office Word 2003 and ms office outlook 2003. No mention h/ever of access!!!!!.

13. Bigsistermidnight

Bigsistermidnight Bit Poster

Hiya and welcome to the forum. I have just gained my ecdl certificate. I left Access till last as I had been told it was the hardest. I studied mine online, but also bought a book and cd rom to help me.

Certifications: SG Computing Studies(ha ha),ECDL
    WIP: A+
  14. 9box

9box Bit Poster

Thanks, v. much. Yeah i'd like to become qualified like u guys and gals? out there. The training prov is ukit training and the career path is "Certified Systems and security course" comprising, (1) ecdl, a+, network +, win 2k xp + server support, win 2k network environment = MCSA.
    (2) Win 2k dir services infrasructure, + win 2k dir. serv. design.
    (3) win 2k net/wk infrasructure + ins, config, and admin exchange server 2k, = MCSE
    (4) Comp tia Security +. All within 12 months is this poss?

15. 9box

9box Bit Poster

congrats think i'll do just that too. Congrats again, i'm feeling so left behind

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome, 9box. See you've met the Guys already :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi 9box, glad you found us 8)

Anythings possible but to be realistic, I would have to say no.

The MCSE (W2K) alone took me three years full time study. There is an awful lot of work involved.

Are these just the courses (MOC) or do they include passing the actual Microsoft associated exams?

18. hbroomhall

There are various versions of Office, and they include different bits!

You need to find an 'upgrade' for the Access bit - but I have no idea if such a thing is available.

Anybody else know?

Harry.

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am not sure if you can just upgrade to access but I totally agree that you absolutely *must* have a copy of whatever software you are studying so that you can practice using it. Studying without *hands on* is a total waste of your time.

20. 9box

9box Bit Poster

Thanks again peeps, i'm on the case for the access s/ware. Just a quick look at the objectives for A+ i realise that mcse is a big ask for 12mnths especially when you are working as well and its not like iam " in the feild" as it were. So as not to waste time iam goint to do the next modle then come back to access when i've found the software. Thanks again folks I've got you on in the background as i study!!!!!