8hrs to restore??

Discussion in 'Software' started by IThurts, Apr 26, 2008.

1. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

I decided afterall to go ahead and use the new disk i have and to detach the old faulty one with bad sectors. I put the new disk in and run acronis from the bootable cd i have.

I am currently restoring the system onto the new disk and its saying its going to take 8hrs to do it!

Why is it taking so long???

I have 1 full back up and told acronis to restore my PC to the last differential backup i have (so two files in all). The size of the disk is 149GB capacity, and the disk is a sata disk.

SHOULD it be taking soooo long??? and is there a quicker way to do it?? Could it be that its running so slow because i am running this prgram from boot cd (ie: from memory).

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Acronis is ok when you run it from the OS, using the bootup cd and it all takes much longer....
    The partition is 149GB, how much data is in there, is it going from HDD to HDD, external USB drive/eSata?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

its 149gb total space...120gb used approx....my backup images are in my external USB drive and its going into my new internal SATA drive...so USB External to Internal SATA...

think i should cancel it and try restoring in a different way?What would u recomend? A possible disk clone? -(guess that would make my backups a bit pointless!) Its gone up to 9 hrs now...i cant wait that long!

edit: its jumped from 9 hrs to 5 :oO...still too friggn long!

4. NightWalker

If I remember correctly the new drive you have installed is the data drive, not the one with Windows on it? If it is I would boot into Windows and run the normal version of Acronis, and do the same restore from there. It will chug away in the background then.

5. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

No the new drive i am putting in is to be an exact replica of the faulty drive, so windows os is to be installed also. Which is why i had to restore from the boot cd of acronis.
    HELLLLLLLPPPPP

6. NightWalker

Looks like you are going to have to wait 8hrs.....
    120GB will take quite a long time to transfer over USB, not much you can do other than put the kettle on and have a cup of tea.

7. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

:blink....thats a lot of tea

thought as much...bearing in mind the whole idea is for me to copy my restore over to the new disk and leave behind any sector areas i encountered/had on my last disk, would a disk to disk copy/clone work quicker? ie: install both the old and new drive and simply clone/copy the old to the new??

What kinda time-scale am i looking at there?

Another thing which has got my quite worried is that when acronis started doing the restore onto the new disk, it asked me for my username and pasword?? I type in my windows login username but left the password blank because i dont have one....aconris mentioned that if the username and password are incorrect, restore will fail...so now im bricking it that if i typed in the wrong info in there ill wait 8hrs for it to restore, then it will tell me i got the wrong username...something i should worry about?
    Excse the length!!

8. NightWalker

The backup you are restoring from is a known good one that you have validated with Acronis, so I would stick with that. As for the username and password, if you have a blank password it should work fine. I must admit I have never been asked for a username and password for a restore, only the password I set on the backup image. I have Acronis 10 Home, maybe your on a different version. Any backup/restore will be faster using only internal drives, USB has much less bandwidth. I would let the restore finish now its started running, (presumably you have a second PC to go online with?).

Speaking of running, I’m off out to pound 4 miles. I’ll check this thread when I get back to my PC and see how your doing.

9. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Acronis asks if you want to associate a user name and password with each backup. Did you do this? (This is separate from the username/pass you use for Windows).

I've seen similar setups take 6-8 hours in my shop, usually with the customer wondering if they can have the system back "right after lunch" (and they're asking this at 11 in the morning). It's one of those time takes time things. :-)

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The speed mentioned is not unusual, particularly with USB.

When I had to do this, because my main drive was dying, I mounted the drive with the backup onto the machine to avoid the problems with things like USB.

8 hours for 149GB is about 5MB per sec, not unreasonable for an ordinary PC plus USB

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

No i didnt do this with acronis...:cry:
    I typed in my windows username just before the restore procedure started and it continued normally, like i said it said that the restore would not be successful if i entered the incorrect name! Am i looking at a failing restore knowing i have put in a username that is not at all associated with acronis? Surely acronis would have told me BEFORE the restore if my usernam was incorrect??Dont tell me im gonna have to redo this...

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I had to restore a server overnight and I think it took around 5 hours for 100GB. This was going from a IDE drive to a SATA RAID (2 drives mirrored).

Kick off the restore overnight :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Hi sparky.

Yea it says it has 3hrs left now..i wouldnt mind asmuch if i defo knew the restore was going to be successful 100%....im a tad worried about the whole username/password thing though..i quote what i said before:

14. NightWalker

Dont worry about it, if it fails start again.... no harm done (but a lesson learned).

15. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

True, i suppose the worst hasnt happened. Its just iv wasted so much time doing all this ****e trying to repair it all, etc etc, to no real avail. Guess i should have listened in the first place and just binned the old HD a month ago and started a fresh a month ago!!
    I actually was having no errors until yesterday on my old HD, i checked the event viewer and it tells me some disk error again but this time saying that the NTFS file format is corrupted and unusable.Hence the reason why i thought F.this and had the new drive there ready...thought...im just gonna restore the backup image onto my new drive.

This is the reason im a little pee'd off with it all tbh. Knowing i wasted yet *another* weekend doing this crap.
    Like you said though...lessons learned and all that..:(

16. NightWalker

I don’t think of stuff like that as wasted time. This is computing, its what I do at work and what I do during some of my spare time. At the moment I am in to overclocking my PC, I have however worked up over the years from being a complete beginner to earning my living with computers. Computing takes time, you have to get stuff wrong to get it right next time. There is only so much time you can spend online or playing games, but getting your hands dirty and mucking about with your PC is all part of the fun...

I have spent god knows how many hours doing similar things, when I upgraded my mobo last month I had to break my RAID0 array as I was going to move my OS to a single drive, my Acronis backup let me down (always validate!) and I spent all weekend re-installing Vista from scratch... a bit annoying, but I discoverd lots of settings I had not used for ages, and made the whole thing better in the end.

I have a few computers, so if I bugger one up I can always use another to do my day to day online stuff.

17. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

I've only ever passworded one backup, and this was WAAAY back when I first started using the program. If memory serves, it should fail you on a bad password attempt before it does the restore.

My rules for Acronis:

1. It takes time to use so let the customer know.
    2. ALWAYS validate backups.

I've got a 4TB Buffalo Terrastation NAS sitting in the back of my store configured for RAID5. Every system that comes in has the hard drive pulled and imaged with Acronis and the file dropped onto the server *before* I do anything to the machine. If I screw up and bork something, at least I can get the data back. Good way to avoid lawsuits. In some cases this costs me up to a day, but I'm a big believer in practicing safe hex.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  18. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Yea well i validated my backup when i first created it. Didnt show any error msgs so i think im good. I hadnt validated the differential backup mind, but feel that all was ok.

Lets see what happens eh..?
    In re to the username thing...i just find it odd that i didnt actually create a username/pass, i type in my windows username and it doesnt fail my restore....yet:dry I think it would be a pretty useless piece of crap if it fails my restore AFTER the 8hr wait due to an incorrect username...surely it should do that before if it was going to.:x

19. Crito

Crito Banned

eSATA is great for this kind of stuff. Most new external hard drives come with the interface, as did my new HP laptop. Hot-swapping is actually part of the SATA2 (300) spec, so a $10 bracket from eBay is really all you need to add support for it to most PCs. I wouldn't attempt it with SATA-150 though.

Doesn't do you much good now, I know, but maybe something to keep in mind for the future. ;)

http://www.sata-io.org/esata.asp

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  20. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

:dry...........lol

thanks for the HU.:)