70-685 & MOAC Book

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Gogs, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Gogs

Gogs Bit Poster

Hi,

I've just passed my 70-685, and I used a fair few different books to study for it including the Microsoft Official Academic Course one. Having now sat the exam I've realised what a load of garbage that book was and had no real relevance to the exam other than they were both about Windows 7. I know that quite a proportion of the MS exams also call upon your experience and on-the-job knowledge but to produce a book so poor I think is a little unfair. Was wondering if anyone else had used it and felt the same?

Cheers

Gogs

Certifications: in Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Server Administrator (646) , Security+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've never been a fan of the Microsoft Official Curriculum. For Microsoft exams, I much prefer Microsoft Press and Sybex.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. mroebuck

mroebuck New Member

Hi

You say the Microsoft books are no good but don't recommend one for us to use!! I am attending the 70-685 5day course at QA in Leeds in April but would like to get a good knowledge of the subject before I attend! Can you recommend a good book that covers ALL the requirements of the exam but with NO extra baggage! I find there is enough to learn already without learning stuff I don't need!

Thanks

P.S.

I will be booking in for the exam as soon as possible after the course!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Eh? :blink Of course I did. I said that I recommend Microsoft Press and Sybex.

Do they come with "extra baggage"? I don't know of a study tool that doesn't come with at least a LITTLE bit of that... there's no way to hit the line exactly. After all, Microsoft can add new content to the exam at any time, and then you'd complain about the study materials being insufficient. Thus, it's better to have too much content than too little.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!