70-685 Best Study Resources

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by HJE_Coops, Apr 27, 2012.

1. HJE_Coops

HJE_Coops Bit Poster

Right,

my break after passing 70-680 is over so time to crack into the study for 70-685. has anyone got a recommended reading list for this course?

i cant get another Dan Poulton book so i was looking at the self paced training guide, is this any good?

what supplementery info is there? is there anything similar to the messer videos for this course?

any advice and pointers thoroughly appreciated

cheers

Ben

Certifications: 70-680
    WIP: 70-685
  2. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Theres alot out there Ben,

However I managed to pass with 800 using CBT Nuggets videos and MS press books, to be honest I only used the MS press books to go further in depth with things that confused me so deffo worth getting for when you do hit a mental block.

Also I would recommend using VPC's (Microsoft offer free VPC's or VMWare) and setup a client in a domain environment. (You can get an evaluation copy of server 2008 for free from Microsoft) Should have no problems with thoes resources and personally I didn't find the exam its self that difficult.

If you need any help, drop me a PM!

Good luck!
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  3. HJE_Coops

HJE_Coops Bit Poster

Cheers Brad

i'll grab the press book and see about the CBT vids, do they cost?

Certifications: 70-680
    WIP: 70-685
  4. subliminalsmurf

subliminalsmurf Nibble Poster

The CBS videos are pretty costly for what they are to be honest and do only cover what I found in the book. The best resource I had IMO was a terabyte hard drive, some virtual machines and a lot of prctice. I got 875 without really needing much else.

Certifications: MCITP: Windows 7 Desktop Support Technician
    WIP: 70-686 - Started the same day as passing 680
  5. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I got access to some CBT stuff via some thing with work a while ago. I've watched some of their videos. What they do really well is give a great overview of all the bits of a technology that might pop up in an exam. They're engaging and interesting, sometimes quite funny, and very knowledgeable about the technology. A great way to understand the concepts.

But in all honesty I don't think you could comfortably pass an exam just using these videos.
    The ones I saw just didn't go down to the kind of gritty detail the exams expect. The MS Press books go into more detail IMO, but you'll learn most through getting the OS running on vmware player and really playing around with it. I also quite liked what I saw of TrainSignal videos because they tended to start more from scratch, and told you straight that they expected you to be following along at home and trying this all out.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  6. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

How have you found the MS Press book and CBT videos? To be honest I'm not finding much of choice in 70-685 books dept.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I used the Sybex book & CBT Nuggets.

The only downside of the book is that (and I've specified this before on here) it covers both 685 & 686 but without making any obvious reference to which part of the book refers to which exam. So I just had to read through it all (other than the parts that I felt 'overlapped' with the 680 material that I had already studied.

HTH.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...