70-682 Upgrading from MCDST to MCITP 7 Desktop Support

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by McTaff, Sep 9, 2012.

1. McTaff

McTaff Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

I attempted (and failed) this exam last week, and have some serious reservations regarding it.

I searched the forums before posting, and can see a lot of people preparing for it, but have yet to see anyone posting that they have successfully passed it.

Firstly, the scope of the upgrade to MCITP seems to have changed the focus pretty comprehensively from the MCDST. Now, instead of advising users how they can change their security settings in IE, or turn off sticky keys, we are setting up GPOs and configuring networks. It has been a while since I took the MCDST, but the MCITP upgrade looks more like an administrative cert to me and doesn't appear to serve the same role as the original.

Further, I was hoping to attain the upgrade through self study, but there is very little out there I could find that is useful. Most study aids seem to focus on gaining MCITP the conventional way by starting from scratch and passing both of the new exams rather than upgrading from MCDST. CBT Nuggets do offer a reasonably decent course, although it's only 9 hours and fairly expensive. Measure-ups also provide a 70-682 mock test, but their product was nothing like the real Micrsoft exam (which was much harder btw). Interestingly, the CBT nuggets and Measure-Up seemed to match topics, whereas the real exam seemed only vaguely similar (I have double-checked, I did take the right exam!). Could it be that the 70-682 has been revamped in some way recently?

I'd appreciate suggestions on how to proceed, particularly if anyone has any good recommendations on study material I haven't seen.

Also be interested in experiences of others attempting the exam through self-study.

Certifications: ITIL v.3, MCDST, CompTIA A+, Network+
    WIP: Scratching my head in frustration
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

I sat and passed this exam first time through self-study, although without the high scores I received for my MCDST exams.

It is not easy by any means, and many on this Forum have chosen to take the 680 & 685 separately eventhough they do already hold an MCDST because of this fact.

The MCITP exam cannot really be compared to the older MCDST, as you have said, it covers Client support from a very different angle and is therefore much more difficult.

Having taken it, I believe that its only positive benefit is that of having to sit one exam instead of two. There is no upgrade syllabus offered for this exam (presumably due to the chasm of knowledge needed between it and the MCDST) and therefore any of the topics covered in both the 680 & 685 exam can come up and so the only strategy is to completely cover all topics from both exams.

HTH

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. McTaff

McTaff Bit Poster

Thanks for replying Richy,

I was already contemplating looking at some study guides for the separate exams, I am thinking even more now this is the way to go.

I'll post again at a later date to report how I got on.

Certifications: ITIL v.3, MCDST, CompTIA A+, Network+
    WIP: Scratching my head in frustration
  4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...