70-681 thoughts and resources?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by steffparry, Oct 4, 2011.

1. steffparry

steffparry Bit Poster

Hello gang,

My first post back after a long hiatus!

Work has asked me to do the 70-681 as this will be required for their MS partner status next year.

Having a little sniff around, not a lot to go on! Doesn't look like any books (official or otherwise) are available and apart from a few MS pages, scant online resources too! Search also yields zero results on this hallowed site.

Is this because of the similarity to the 70-680? I see lots of threads about that one. I have the E-Book for 70-680 but any ideas about what I can use to fill in the gaps?

I'm looking for some general opinions on this cert, as well as any useful links for study/test purposes.

Cheers guys.

Certifications: A+, BA (hons)
    WIP: Network+
  2. steffparry

steffparry Bit Poster

No thoughts or input from anyone?

Certifications: A+, BA (hons)
    WIP: Network+
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

The 70-681 exam is split into four sections which are all fairly equal in value (or weight):

•Configuring a Deployment Infrastructure (24%)
    •Creating and Configuring Images (25%)
    •Deploying Windows 7 (27%)
    •Configuring and Deploying Office 2010 (24%)

Configuring a Deployment Infrastructure:
    The Configuring a Deployment Infrastructure section mostly focuses on various configuration tools, especially the Microsoft Development Toolkit (MDT). Aside from the MDT, you’ll also be tested on network configuration, activation configuration in both Windows 7 and Office 2010 and the Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager’s Operating System Deployment (OSD) environment.

Creating and Configuring Images:
    As you probably expected, this section is fairly self-explanatory. You’ll be tested on your knowledge in creating and capturing images, automating installation scripts, creating and customizing task sequences (especially for Office 2010), customizing standard operating system settings, adding applications to already existing images, and configuring for application compatibility.

Deploying Windows 7:
    The next section deals with the different types of Windows 7 deployment methods, such as Lite Touch, Zero Touch, and possibly High Touch deployments (though High Touch deployments are not mentioned, it may be a good idea to read up on the method just in case.) Aside from the deployment methods themselves, you’ll also be tested on your ability to migrate user settings and data, configure security updates and other post-deployment tasks, and customize hardware settings like drivers, hardware-specific applications, and BitLocker Drive Encryption.

Configuring and Deploying Office 2010:
    At first, I thought this section was a bit simple and wondered why it took up a full 24% of the 70-681 exam. After going through the topics and reading up on Office deployment, I realized that it is actually quite involved.

This section includes configuring user-specific settings like languages and default locations, application-specific settings like add-ins, security settings, updates, and Key Management Services (KMS), and actual Office deployment. Office deployment is probably the most involved portion, since it includes not only clean installation deployment, but also upgrades.

Source Trainsignal Blog: Windows 7 and Office 2010 Deployment MCTS (70-681) Exam Guide

Trainsignal have a course:

Windows 7 Deployment Training, 70-681 Exam, MCITP and MCTS Certifications | Train Signal

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  4. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Thank you - I'm also in this position of being asked to do it for work's Partner Competency. Wish there was a book but this info helps a lot nonetheless :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012
  7. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Nice link Kev!

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010