70-680 tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by monobrow, Jun 26, 2013.

1. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

It's been a nightmare to get through (3 failed HDDs, and I've hated the MS Press book). Fingers crossed...

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST
  2. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Good luck, passed mine not long back

WIP: 70-680
  3. Grim-83

Grim-83 Nibble Poster

I know the MS book is a pain, but beside that. Good luck I hope your pass with ease.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, MCTS 70-680, MTA 98-365, 98-366, 98-367
    WIP: CCENT / CCNA
  4. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

fingers crossed for you

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  5. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Good Luck !

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Good Luck!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

Well that didn't go as I'd expected :(

After the first 10 questions I just wanted to go home, but I stuck with it, and went back through afterwards.

Result: 740 (pass)

I've hated almost every minute of studying for this course. The gaps and omissions in the MS Press book made studying demoralising. Even after reading-around the topics that the book barely touched on, googling, Professor Messer videos and looking-up commands, there were things that came up in the exam that I'd never come across.

I think the NDA means I can't talk about the actual exam, but the comments others have made about having to know everything inside-out and from every angle are spot on. Good luck to everyone thinking about doing this too :)

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST
  8. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats mate, a pass is a pass!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  9. archie

archie Bit Poster

Congratulations on the pass mate!

Totally agree with your comments re the MS Press Books. I appreciate that we have to do a lot of research and work to learn but the MS Book does leave a lot to be desired. The one thing that really bugged me was the amount of errors in it with various command lines etc. Can appreciate the odd one or two slipping through but this book is right up there in the error stakes.

I got to the point that I didnt trust half of what was written and double checked almost everything from other sources - not the best way to study and prepare for an exam.

Certifications: MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: Lets decide tomorrow...
  10. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

Cheers guys :)

I've been struggling along for almost 18 months because of that book, so I'm glad it's over with! About a year ago, I got the 685 and 686 books too, thinking that I'd find the missing info in those :rolleyes:

My plan was to do the 680 and then the other two. The 686 looks like a waste of time for me, because I don't have enough Server knowledge, and although the 685 book (just from skimming a few pages) looks worth doing while I have the 680 knowledge 'fresh', I've seen some comments on here about that book not being much good either. I'm gonna have a few days off though...

11. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass!

By the sounds of it you definitely deserve a few days off! Perfect start to the weekend though aye! :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  12. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Congrats on the pass!
    Having recently passed I can definitely agree with you on the MS Press book. Doing the actual exam was a revelation of how much detail you need to know for MS exams and you definitely need to do lots of research yourself and unfortunately cannot just bank on learning from 1 book like for some Comptia exams

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  13. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

I'm in a better mood today, after a bit of sleep :)

Stuzzle, I've just noticed that you're studying for 70-685. Can I ask what you're using, and how you're finding it so far?

14. yp_se

yp_se New Member

congrats on the pass dude!

im currently studying for the 680 too. Im only using the MS books + prof messer. In your opinion is this enough your do you think more studying fro mother sources is needed.

Its such a shame that a single book cant contain all the topics. No wonder people find it so difficult!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  15. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

Hi. I used the official MS-Press book, Professor Messer videos, youtube, technet and lots of googling. I managed to pass first time, but I'd been studying for over a year on and off.

I don't know if I got an easy version of the exam or a difficult one, but all I can suggest that you learn every way of doing things. Also, doing a few practice tests from the CD was quite useful to me (even though there were some mistakes in the command syntax!), but try to do longer tests (70-100 questions)- so that you don't get the same questions over and over. Expect the exam to be harder though.

Good luck :)

16. Monitor848

Monitor848 New Member

Hope it goes well for you

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE2k3
  17. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

After my 70-680 exam I had a better idea of how much you're expected to know and in how much detail, so this time I have set out knowing I need to use multiple sources of info and practice a lot more, but having also vowed not to take as long as my half arsed efforts with the 70-680.

So with that in mind I am currently on a read through of the MS-Press book. Then I have some CBT videos (from 1 of the normal brands) waiting for me as well as an MS course lab manual and a quick skim through of the Windows 7 portable command guide. I'll finish up any last 'filling out' of my notes with a look through the Technet articles on things. With an applied effort to all of these it should be easy enough :).

If you can survive through the 70-680 then you'll be fine with the 70-685 I reckon, except you'll know how MS test candidates.

18. Grim-83

Grim-83 Nibble Poster

Not true, the 70-685 exam is much harder and expect you to understand Server 2008 as well (I failed the first go, that why I'm upgrading my server skills before round 2)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, MCTS 70-680, MTA 98-365, 98-366, 98-367
  19. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Then I stand corrected :)....and need to start studying faster then if I'm going to include a few Server 08 bits and wish to do it anytime soon

20. Grim-83

Grim-83 Nibble Poster

Just be carful if you are using the Microsoft book for the 685 exam, it's got more errors then the 680 book.