70-680 study week begins

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by shadowwebs, Jun 16, 2013.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

so my week off from work is now starting, and 'hopefully' going to put in as much work as I can on going through the 70-680, missing out some sections which I will cover at a later date... realistically how much can I get covered in a week lol

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Sonicimage

Sonicimage Bit Poster

I'm also studying for 70 - 680 now. But I read a couple of posts on another forum that some people failed it because of lack of experience (and got frustrated a bit). Is it possible to pass it at all by watching videos (professor Messer, MindLeaders etc) and reading a book? Of course, it would be very useful to have a PC with Windows 7 to practice on, but would it be enough if there is no commercial experience?

Certifications: Bachelor of Art; City & Guilds Diploma in ICT Systems Level 2 & 3; MCTS: Active Directory; MCTS: Network Infrastructure; MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring; MCSA: Server 2008; CCENT; CCNA; MCSE: Server 2012
    WIP: MCSE: Server Infrastructure
  3. shadowwebs

sonic I would agree with you that it should be enough to pass with a book (I am using Don Poulton) and I have watched the Professor Messer video's already for the 70-680 which means I can go back and recap on any that I feel I need a little more from.

Yes you should need a PC with Windows 7 on, or at least a virtual machine that you can dabble around with.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

A mixture of theory and practical should help solidify the knowledge.

If you can retain enough information from just reading and watching, good on you :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  5. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

You need to know the various switches for the headline commands too, so Technet and actually practicing them is really important.

I would be doing a lot of <command> /? if I were you guys.

6. shadowwebs

Just looking at Chapter 5 of the Don Poulton book makes me already wonder whether I am going to be able to remember all these key topics... there is a lot to take in

7. BB88

You'll be fine. Just read around from different sources from things you don't grasp in the book until it sinks in.

8. shadowwebs

in the Don Poulton book (unless I have completely missed it), it doesn't tell you to have a server setup for mapping to a network share for WinPE, even though by working in IT I knew I needed to do that, and then later in the book it says to now map the drive... I think I may jump over to Professor Messer for the section of Deploying Windows via network share / wds, and then maybe jump back in to Don Poulton.

9. shadowwebs

here is my answer file... and I have started up a win7 install which appeared to be working until it got to the select which disc to install windows on... I thought I had already included that in my answer file, can anyone spot the error?

Oh, also just to point out that if I select the options on screen manually then it also comes up with the error "windows could not prepare the partition selected for installation" and then the install quits.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
    <settings pass="windowsPE">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <SetupUILanguage>
    <UILanguage>en-us</UILanguage>
    </SetupUILanguage>
    <UILanguage>en-us</UILanguage>
    </component>
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <UserData>
    <ProductKey>
    <Key>*****-*****-*****-*****-*****</Key>
    </ProductKey>
    <AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
    </UserData>
    <ImageInstall>
    <OSImage>
    <InstallTo>
    <DiskID>0</DiskID>
    <PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
    </InstallTo>
    <InstallToAvailablePartition>true</InstallToAvailablePartition>
    </OSImage>
    </ImageInstall>
    <DiskConfiguration>
    <Disk wcm:action="add">
    <DiskID>0</DiskID>
    <WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk>
    </Disk>
    </DiskConfiguration>
    </component>
    </settings>
    <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:c:/wims/install.wim#Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

10. BB88

I'd look at adding this in:

Source: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...p/thread/477f8d72-06dc-43b1-96f7-da8bb475e299

11. shadowwebs

I tell you what really grinds my gears about the 70-680 is that you have to learn all the command lines and yet they tell you it's easier to just use the GUI MDT to build a deployment... why make things hard when they can be easy, arghh and breathe

12. shadowwebs

can anyone point me in the right direction for where I can get WAIK for Windows Server 2008 r2 from? it's all part of my studies, as I have been informed that it's a different version of WAIK depending on the OS it's being installed on

I tried using the Win7 WAIK on the server to build an answer file, but it failed during the catalogue installation, which is where I have been told it's due to having the wrong WAIK. and yes I was logged on as local administrator with full rights

13. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

14. shadowwebs

that was my thinking also, I will give it another try and see what happens. Cheers Ade

15. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Shadow, is your trouble when having Windows SIM build the catalog file?

My old notes aren't as detailed as they should be, they were just prompts rather than full info..but are you aware that when creating a catalog file it is something along the lines of x86 SIM can create catalog files for x86, x64 and Itanium based images, but x64 and Itanium SIM's can only create catalog images for x64 and Itanium based images respectively

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  16. shadowwebs

thanks, yes I have tried both 32bit and 64bit and they both fail, I have attached a screen grab of the error log for why it won't create... any joy?

Attached Files:

17. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

Hi. I *think* I remember there being two different versions of the same WAIK on different parts of Microsoft's site - only one worked for me.

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST
  18. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

I think ive run into this before

If I remember right

Copy the whole contents of the DVD into a folder on your desktop

Make sure you have full permission on that folder

In wsim click tools > create catalogue (not file import image)

Then when it asks you import the wim from the filder in your desktop

WIP: 70-680
  19. shadowwebs

tried that, not working still

- - - Updated - - -

tis now working

20. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

What did you have to do?

WIP: 70-680