70-680 Smashed it!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by BigG, Aug 15, 2010.

1. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

Long time no post, but I feel the need to bragg to people who understand what I'm on about (non-techies just don't understand...)

Did the Win7 Confuguring exam (70-680) exam and got a rather respectable 850/900 :biggrin not bad for a first attempt.

For those who are interested it took me 4 months to study for and I only used the MS-Press book and the MS Technet site.

To help those studying for this exam, I put in a lot of work over 4 months and this is what I did.

1. Studied (not read) the book cover to cover and took about an hour per chapter to ensure that everything sank in.
    2. Did all the tests and scenarios and made sure I understood why I got things wrong.
    3. Made notes from the book. Lots of them.
    4. Spend on average 1 1/2 hours a night studying (I did have a bit of a life, but not much)
    5. Did the tests on the CD again and again ensuring that I understood why I failed certain q's.
    6. When I felt almost confident - I booked the exam. This gave me more focus and also an "end date" to look forward to.

Tips for exam takers
    I focused mainly on the Deploying sections and the new features of windows 7, however the exam was not as heavy in those areas as I thought.
    One thing I didn't revise much was how to navigate to certain options so I'd advise anyone to have a good look around Win7 learn how to get to things and which tab they are under or options within Win7 standard programs. I got a few curve balls in the exam, things that are barely mentioned in the book but you need to know (readyboost and IE explorer specific)

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Major congrats on the pass:thumbleft

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well done mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Congrats :) Just working my way through the MS Press book now.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  5. purana

purana Nibble Poster

Nice work. I enjoyed doing 70-680. The MS Press book is quite good for this exam.

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
    WIP: MCITP: EA, RHCE, OEL, RHCVE
  6. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

I actually hated the ms press book, to many errors and to many bits that were missing from the book that were in the exam.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You got an 850... but not out of 900. It is widely believed (though not confirmed by Microsoft) that 1000 is a perfect score for Microsoft exams.

Still, any score at 700 or above is respectable - a pass is a pass. Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

20+ pages of errors did not fill me with confidence when I started - especially when the "experts" got the minimum specs wrong! :rolleyes:- They must have rushed this book out in my opinion

10. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

I have heard that a Top score is a MS way of catching cheats as this is impossible to achieve without cheating - but thats only a rumour I hard on the net (so it must be true) :)

Cheers for all the congrats everyone!

G

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I can neither confirm nor deny this rumour. :ninja

That said, that wouldn't be the only weapon in their arsenal for catching braindumpers... I just wish they'd employ those weapons more often!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!