70-680 Passed

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by eugenius, Oct 11, 2013.

1. eugenius

eugenius Bit Poster

Scraped through with 742. I knew it would be a close call before I went in, as I didn't feel I had spent enough time on certain areas.

I used Don Poulton's book as well as the Windows 7 Portable Command Guide: MCTS 70-680, 70-685 and 70-686, and of course Technet.

Professor Messer's videos were also very useful for a general overview.

Now to decide on whether to take the 70-685 or the 70-686 before the end of January. I've read that most of the study materials for those exams are pretty poor. Anyone know of any solid books for either of them?

Certifications: Microsoft: Azure Administrator, CCNA R&S, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, MCSA: Windows 7, MTA: 98-365, PRINCE2 Foundation, A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-413
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

congrats dude!

3. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

Congrats on the pass! I'm in limbo at the moment too, and can't decide between 685 and 686. The one thing that (my low score on) 70-680 has shown me, is that I don't have as much knowledge of Windows 7 as I thought. And my Technet sub runs out on new year's eve, so if I'm going to do one of teh exams I need to get cracking soon

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST
  4. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have had the Don Poulton book for some time now and started to use it alongside the Professor Messer video's but I got distracted and am struggling to find my way back to it. Congrats on the pass

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  5. eugenius

eugenius Bit Poster

Thanks for the congrats. The exam covers a wide range of topics and quite a few command switches, so make sure you get a bit of practice in!

Certifications: Microsoft: Azure Administrator, CCNA R&S, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, MCSA: Windows 7, MTA: 98-365, PRINCE2 Foundation, A+, Network+
  6. willolpl

willolpl Bit Poster

Very well done !!!!

Certifications: CompTia A+, MCP, MCDST
  7. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass!

As for your next step - the 685 concentrates more on Support, whereas the 686 is intended for Administrators (and is the only track that would offer a 1-exam upgrade to the MCSA: Server 2012).

And remember that the 686 exam will not be retiring at the end of Jan, just the MCITP cert.
    So if you were unable to sit this exam prior to Jan 31st for whatever reason, you would still gain the MCSA instead of both the MCSA & the retiring MCITP, which is no great handicap.

HTH.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  8. eugenius

eugenius Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice RichyV. I think I'll go with the 70-685, as I don't think I've got the relevant commercial experience for the 70-686.

I'll try and knock this one out by the end of January, and I'm thinking of using CBT Nuggets for this one, but does anyone know a good study guide for the 70-685? I've heard the MS Press book is embarrassingly weak :(