70-680 duration

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by shadowwebs, Nov 28, 2012.

1. barrixrock

barrixrock Bit Poster

It's 50.. There will be drag and drop, you need to pu in a correct order. Combo box options. Check box.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
    Certifications: A+, MS 70-680
    WIP: MS 70-640
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Thank you

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  4. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

How does the official Press Book compare to Don Poluton's then? I am tackling this one in the New Year. I already have the Press Book, but its a bit blurgh!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  5. Hilazing

Hilazing Bit Poster

I'd love to let you know how my exam went, but I arrived to take the test, and the test centre was closed!

I waited for about an hour and a half, during which time someone else also showed up who had an exam scheduled, but the place did not open.

No contact numbers were working, the one Prometric gave me was not valid, the one on the door of the offices was not valid, and the one on their website just rang out and had no voicemail.

I emailed the test centre, Prometric and tweeted MS and Prometric, and the test centre emailed me back with a very rude and sarcastic response advising me that any normal business is closed between Christmas and new year (I had to book a day off work to take the test, so I clearly don't work for a normal company) and that it was not their fault, I needed to speak to Prometric and stop bothering them with my problem.

Prometric have emailed me and asked me to call them, which I will do tomorrow, I shall be letting them know what I think of this particular test centre!

Not sure of the forum rules on naming and shaming, so I'll just leave it as "the test centre" for now!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi BB88, I find the Poulton book a lot easier to follow than the press book, and I have mostly used the Poulton book and Professor Messer.

Certifications: MCTS 70-680
  6. shadowwebs

any ideas why Windows SIM is no longer working for me when I am trying to create an answer file for Win7 Ultimate x64.

I have Windows SIM installed on my Server 2008 r2 VM, and the install.wim I have stored at c:\winstall\install.wim

Logged on as the server administrator, so yes I do have full folder permissions which I thought may have been a possible cause.

All works fine when I try to repeat the task on my Windows 7 vm, and I know that R2 is compatible, so not too sure why it would cause a downfall...

- - - Updated - - -

Capture.PNG

the above is what I get when I try to add the install.wim file to Windows SIM.

Oh and as a side-note, before anyone wonders why I am still so far behind on my studies, the Mrs has been a right pain in the [where the sun never shines] when it comes to me taking time out to try and study, so it's all being delayed massively.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  7. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

My trick on that front (which obviously I'll hop straight onto after this post is done)...just stay up when she goes to bed :). Currently on Performance Settings and WMI *groan*

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  8. shadowwebs

so I have got my xml file created, titled "autounattend.xml" and saved on to my USB Stick, which is attached to the VM... yet during the install, it's prompting me for answers to everything that is included within the xml. back to the drawing board.

- - - Updated - - -

got it working now, it would appear that the usb stick had removed itself from the VM even though I had connected... ah well

9. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

Yeah vms can be a pain glad you got it working.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  10. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Roughly how long are you putting into studying a day?
    Im struggling to get an hour devoted to this.. I just cant get into it :(

WIP: 70-680
  11. shadowwebs

I set myself an hour each evening, but by the time I get upstairs on to my PC, close down facebook, certforums, I then get distracted finding some music to play to help me study, and then I find myself only having around 20mins left... oh and in with this amount of wasted hour is also being pestered by the mrs

12. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Well managed about 3 hours last night but that was spent getting my autounattend file to work and messing around with wsim

13. shadowwebs

I take a 2 hour driving lesson every Saturday morning, I don't have one next week as I am in London for the day and then should be taking my driving test mid-March... once that is out the way and passed, I am hoping to allocate those 2 hours to studying, but I just do not seem to get as much satisfaction from studying as I did with the A+

14. shadowwebs

which study resources are you using again for this exam? I am using Don Poulton and it started better than it is currently through Chapter 5 for me.

15. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

exactly the same for me. Don Poulton book and at chapter 5 which is very boring.....
    Ive already read it 3 times (chapter 5) am now just going through some of the commands. Last night I got the autounattend.xml file to work,created custom installation, captured the installation with imageX and then uploaded it to the server.

Im just about to get (hopefully) that image to deploy to another machine now...

- - - Updated - - -

Found a (possible) error in chapter 5

When applying the disk image the book says type
    Code:
    imagex /apply c: z:\win-partition.wim 1 c:
    That doesnt work (for me anyway) I had to drop the leading c: and type

Code:
     imagex /apple z:\win-partition.wim 1 c:
    My image seems to be copying over now so i'll see how it goes.

That was after having to mess around with diskpart and figure out how that works, because when you create a new VM it only creates a RAW disk and you have to format it (obviously) before anything can see it..

Update:

Didn't work :(
    I think the whole capture / deploy process worked fine but the image itself had a lot of errors and in the end wouldnt start properly. Might of been a bad ISO. So, back to the top, going to get a new w7 Ultimate iso, install it with my autounattend.xml, change a few things, sysprep it, capture it with imagex to my server and then delpoy it with imagex ... again.....

Its 9pm now, i;ll hopefully have the w7ult iso but 930 so i'll start then and see how long it takes...

Update 2:

Well once the ISO downloaded I restarted the task at 10pm. Its now 11:40 so not too bad. Its worked this time, kind of.

So i captured the image and deployed it to a new VM. On restarting the vm I got a boot error. bcdedit showed that there was no boot information. I tried manually putting the commands in but it wasnt having it. So i had to boot from the w7 install DVD and run the startup Repair tool. This worked and windows booted.

I must of ran sysprep with OOBE selected as I had to run through the usual "what your name, time zone" questions etc but it booted to my Win7 Install with the few applications that I had loaded.

Anyone know how i'd go about making sure that the boot info was copied / created on capture?

Anyway, im happy with what ive achieved tonight so going to move on from that bit now and look at DSIM tomorrow

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  16. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

I'm currently using the MS Press book which I should finish in the next couple of weeks, after which time I intend to go back through all my notes, then work through the MS Press labs and end-of-chapter questions, then the free month trial of Safari Books Online should get me access to the exam cram book and the Don Poulton book you guys use...plus skimming through the Prof Messer videos won't hurt

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  17. shadowwebs

install Skype on your computer and add me "shadowwebs-certforums" ... then we can chat instantly as it's happening to see if can work it out.

- - - Updated - - -

oh and the most annoying thing about the 70-680 is how it teaches you how to manually create .wim's .xml's in to .iso's and then takes you in to how to do it all so much easier through MDT/WDS

18. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Ill sort out Skype later, not sure I have a mic though...

I agree about creating the wims etc, never used mdt but have used wds a lot and it was much much easier.

Although I remember using ris to deploy xp some years ago and I had to mount the wim with imagex to inject some drivers into it so it would boot on one of my machines

19. shadowwebs

that's ok, I only use Skype for the IM side of it, not the cam or mic

20. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Done...