70-680 booked, anything I need to do before then?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Lozler, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Hi there guys, I'm completely new to Microsoft certifications and have been doing the 70-680 using Testout which is like CBT nuggets and all of those other computer based traning programs. I've been using Windows 7 near release date, so i'm picking up most of the content quite fast.

My question is, do I need to sign up and get a Microsoft ID or anything like that?

For example, for my CompTIA A+ exam, I had to sign up with both CompTIA and Pearson Vue and this synced my results and then i was able to get my 'Sucess Kit'.

For this Microsoft exam, i'm using Prometric for the first time and have ONLY signed up with prometric to book the exam. Do I need to do anything else?

Got it booked on tuesday after work, wish me luck!

2. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

You will get an email from Microsoft when you pass. If it is your first time they will ask you to link it to a live ID so you can get access to the MCP site. It doesn't matter if you have an ID before or get one after you have passed. You are basically linking a prometric ID to a Microsoft ID which is tied to your Live ID. Hope that makes sense ;)

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  3. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

You'll get your MCP ID when u pass the exam.

Best of luck.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  4. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Ah cheers guys! I didn't think this exam would qualify me for the MCP site, thought I had to get a full qualification like the MCITP or MCSA etc? Cheers for your help guys, will let you know how I get on, got the weekend to revise :D

5. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Somewhat correct, as newer certifications like MCTS and MCITP are not of the same category as "MCP", but yes, u do get access to the MCP member website after u pass the exam.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  6. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Okay i get it now :D With other certifications i've been registered to their site like Comptia, and I would have to update my information on their before they send a certificate. How does it work with Microsoft, would I have to put in all my details on the MCP site?

Sorry, so many questions haha.

7. algorithm&blues

algorithm&blues Nibble Poster

In my experience, I paid for and booked my exam through prometric.com. They assign you a Prometric ID. All booking and communications are with them.

You just turn up at the exam centre, half hour before the exam. They already know everything about you. You're asked to sign a bunch of stuff, mainly non disclosure agreements and versed on how to ask for help if needed. You'll probably be given a marker pen and some laminated sheets to allow you to write notes etc.

You sit the exam, you will find out about 30 seconds after finishing the exam what your score was. After this you will be (depending on the test centre) asked to complete an onscreen survey which mainly goes over things like how easy it was to get to the test centre, were you able to book it for your preferred time, were the staff courteous etc etc.

When you finish this, your screen will lock back up. In my local test centre you then walk back to reception where the receptionist is waiting with your results sheet. They sign it and on the bottom of the sheet you`ll notice some instructions from Microsoft - telling you how to access MCP information.

You'll find that in the next couple of days (although with me it has always been less than 24 hrs) Prometric will pass your details, scores and contact details to Microsoft. Microsoft will set up an account for you, send you your MCP ID and Access code. You will need to get a Passport enabled address (like a Hotmail etc) to link it to.

You can then download your certificates, logos etc from there. Certificates can be bought and sent to you.

The actual booking and sorting site is really quite easy when you get stuck in. Try not to let that side of it worry you. Concentrate on the exam and the test material and you'll be fine!

Good Luck!! I did my 70-680 resit on Thursday and got 1000/1000 (after failing with 682 a fortnight before)

8. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Cheers! I've finished the training course and just doing some reading over the written material i've got and doing some mock exams. Dunno if i'll be able to concentrate though, working from 5am - 1pm then sitting the exam at 2pm on tues haha.

So does that mean you have to purchase a paper/ID card type certificate seperately, as in it's not free along with your PDF version if you pass?

9. algorithm&blues

algorithm&blues Nibble Poster

That's correct. When you pass you'll be given access to Microsoft's MCP site - from there you can download your PDF certificates for free.

If you wish to purchase them. I think they are about £5 each. However I'm basing this on the fact I have 2 waiting.