70-662 Question styles

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by jay c, May 15, 2012.

1. jay c

jay c New Member

I signed up for selftestsoftware.com's 70-662 practice test, and I've noticed a distinct trend. Many of the questions don't include a really correct answer. Let me give you an example of what I mean. Here's a question in the same style:

[table="width: 500, class: outer_border"]
    [tr]
    [td]What steps do you need to take to accomplish such-and-such?

1. Do steps a, b, f, h, l, and r.
    2. Do steps a, g, h, and r.
    3. Do steps a, b, g, and x.
    4. Do steps s, t, u, and v.[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

The best possible solution is actually a, g, and l, but that's not one of the available answers. On the other hand F+H, will accomplish the same thing with some extra work. But b and r are completely irrelevant. So, of course, the correct answer is 1. It's inefficient and partly irrelevant, but at least you'll get the job done.

It's been a few years since the last time I took a Microsoft exam. Does the actual test include questions and answers of this nature?

Certifications: MCSE, MCTS
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Do these videos help?

http://www.certforums.com/forums/ge...47292-microsoft-certification-exam-demos.html

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes,in a manner of speaking.
    MS exams test you on the MS way of doing things.
    The fact that you, and maybe others with real world experience consider them irrelevant doesn't mean that MS don't consider them best practice.
    Questions will often contain clues such as 'with the least amount of administrative effort' or 'without a domain administrator' or 'without having to restart the server'.
    These are easy to overlook, but actually point you in the direction of some of those seemingly irrelevant options or bits of additional effort.
    It's a bit like any other exam, knowing how to approach the question is almost as important as knowing the actual answer.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. jay c

jay c New Member

Thanks for your responses.

What I'm really asking is if the Microsoft Exams include deliberately false and/or misleading information in the *correct* answers in order to confuse you.

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

They won't put things that are 'false' in the correct answer, but as you mention in your original post, they may include steps which may be considered irrelevant by some.

Generally speaking though, they are not out to try and trick you, they are testing your knowledge.
    You need to read the questions carefully and make sure you pick up on key words which will give you a clue as to which one of two possibly very similar answers is the correct one.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. jay c

jay c New Member

That's good to hear.

Selftestsoftware.com is obviously trying to emulate that method, but I they're coming up short. Their goal, of course, isn't really to trick anyone, but to make sure you're paying attention. They sometimes include irrelevant (not seemingly irrelevant, but actually irrelevant) information in the same answer choice as the correct information. Another problem I've had with their practice test is that, even while they give you subtle clues to the answer in their word choices, they can be careless with other word choices. Then I have to guess at whether they made a mistake or not. I am cataloging these things so I can ask them about it. It's always possible that I have simply misinterpreted.

7. jay c

jay c New Member

Passed the test. The questions tended to be much simpler than selftestsoftware.com's questions, though more obscure. I was surprised by questions about hosted mode and by the number of questions about public folders.