70-648 tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Icetos, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Icetos

Icetos New Member

Hi guys, this is my first post on here so go easy on me! I'm sitting the 70-648 tomorrow for the first and hopefully last time! I've prepared using the MS Press book and included practice tests along with uCertify's test software.

I'm a bit concerned that the MS Press book is now out of date as it doesn't include anything on 2008 R2? I don't have any practical experience of R2 as we don't use it at work.

Has anyone out there passed recently that can shed some light for me please? What topics were most covered in the exam? Have people generally found this harder than the 2000 to 2003 upgrade exam?

Thanks in advance, Ste.

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Good luck for tomorrow!

I'm sure you've seen this, but just in case...

Seems strange that "W2k8 R2" is mentioned at all, as this came out in 2007 it was (and is?) based on the "W2k8" Server architecture.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. Fixxxer80

Fixxxer80 Bit Poster

im wondering if you passed, this exam is so hard.

my first attempt was on the 11th of Nov, failed the 70-640 half with a 626, did ok on the 70-642 half with a 776, but u have 2 pass both halves :(

Anyway resat it today, failed both halves so badly i wont post my scores (below 600 on both halves), cant work out why my first attempt i did so much better. during the actual exam the 2nd attempt i actualy felt i was doing ok, during the 1st attempt i did feel i was struggling.

I thing is forsure all my study material was win servr 2k8 and vista related, all the exam questions are win server 2k8 R2 and Win 7 related. I did know this after my first failed attempt, but in the first exam there wasnt much "R2 specific" stuff, so i thought focusing on the stuff i already knew would get me over the line the 2nd time, however todays exams was very heavley focused on R2, i had 3 questiosn just on Directaccess (i hadnt even heard of directaccess until i saw it in the exam) having now looked it up i understand it more.

This is the first MS exam ive failed, (im and MCSA and MCITP:EMA) but for the life of me cant work out why i cant pass this exam, personally i feel im well versed in most thing w2k8 and win7. (MS obvously disagrees)

Anyone got an "up to date" study guides or know where i can look?

Also wondering if anyone has passed this exam recently, not sure when it was upgraded to R2, but from what ive read so far online many ppl passed this exam a year or 2 ago, not many recently though.

Also FYI each half is 29 questions and 1 hour 15 min each half is scored and timed individually, your score at the end is the lower of the 2 halves.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    Certifications: MCSE: Productivity, MCSA: O365, MCSA: Win Svr 2012/2008/2003, MCITP Exchange 2007
    WIP: MCSA: Cloud Platform, MCSE: Cloud Platform & Infrastructre
  4. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

I would be interested to hear how you got on with this exam also, I have it booked for Tuesday :)

I attended the Microsoft official course last week on updating your 2003 MCSA skills to Server 2008 R2. The MS site details what you will be tested on and confirms the exam is aimed at mostly win7/2008 R2 technology. Check here:
    TS: Upgrading from Windows Server 2003 MCSA to, Windows Server 2008, Technology Specializations

Anyway, here are some links you may find helpful.

Free Microsoft ebook on server 2008 R2 and link to Ms E learning clinic on win 2008 R2 new features.

Windows Server 2008 Training and Learning Courses | Training Portal

and some quick reads on the new features..

Windows Server 2008 R2 new features – the complete list – Part 1: Virtualization - 4sysops

Windows Server 2008 R2 new features – the complete list – Part 2: Active Directory - 4sysops

Windows Server 2008 R2 new features – the complete list – Part 3: IIS 7.5 and Performance - 4sysops

Windows Server 2008 R2 new features – the complete list – Part 4: Administration - 4sysops

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  5. VantageIsle

Just in case anyone is monitoring this post, I can confirm that the the exam does focus on windows 2008 R2 and windows 7 features.

I took this exam today it's quite tricky, fortunately I did pass. I have been working with Server 2008 and server 2008 R2 for some time now and there was still questions that stumped me. I would recommend that you are well versed on the following subjects.

The new AD features and there requirements (ad-rms, ad-lds, ad-fs).
    RODC - just remember It's a READ ONLY Domain controller :)
    The ad maintenance features, know how to do everything from command line, the specific tools (for example ntdsutil, dsamain) and how to perform AD maintenance using power-shell.
    Ip-sec and NPS / RRS plus GPO and WSUS. My advice is to lab these with virtual machines, learn how to set them up, pay attention to the menu options in the wizards.
    Ad-CS, I'm afraid your gonna need to lab this and if you take a good luck at this page Active Directory Certificate Services Step-by-Step Guide you will be golden for the exam.
    Rest of the odd titbit questions I'm sure you will work out being current MCSAs.

Hope this is of some help to someone.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  6. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes, it seems all this studying is making me go blind!

BTW, congrats VantageIsle!

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  7. VantageIsle

Cheers Richy. I must say I'm glad it's done.

I wonder if Fixxer80 gave it another shot.

8. Fixxxer80

Fixxxer80 Bit Poster

No i havent had another shot yet, i have my next attempt in Mid Jan, when the testing centres in my area all open up again after the Christmas break.

Congratulations on passing, and thanks for the added info, much appieciated.

Certifications: MCSE: Productivity, MCSA: O365, MCSA: Win Svr 2012/2008/2003, MCITP Exchange 2007
  9. The_Rocker

The_Rocker Bit Poster

This one is next in my sights as well seeing as I think its about time to upgrade my MCSA.

So would you say its probably a better practice to buy the MS Press books for both 70-640 and 70-642 rather than just the 70-648/70-649 MS Press book?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
    Certifications: BND: ICT | MCDST | MCP
    WIP: MCSA | MCSE
  10. ostinato

ostinato New Member

im also trying to figure out the best way to go about studying for 648, and I'm taking the 640/642 study route to ensure a complete review. during my looking around i see that there are a couple of guides out there from Cert Guide, one that was written in Jan 2011 that covers 640 and one that is set to be released in Feb 2012 for 642. They both cover R2 info, so I'm planning on combining those materials with the official MS Press stuff (as well as some of the helpful links in this thread) to try to catch all the details.

I just figured you guys might want to know that there are, in fact, 640/2 guides that cover R2. Good luck with your certs.

11. Fixxxer80

Fixxxer80 Bit Poster

I know this a really old thread, but I did finally get around to sitting the 70-648 Exam again a couple of days ago.

Happy to say i finally passed it, got a 812 on the 70-640 half and a 900 on the 70-642 half.

It's 32 questions now, still very hard, i guess it was 4th time lucky for me. Also i highly recommend using the 70-640 and 70-642 study guides rather than the 70-648 stuff. You really have to approach it and prepare like your doing 2 exams in the 1 day.