70-643 or start over with 2016 certifications

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by WinterBase, Nov 13, 2017.

1. WinterBase

WinterBase New Member

Good afternoon,

My name is Mark and I'm 26 years old. I would like to continue to obtain Microsoft certifications but I have some troubles finding the right path. At the end of last year, after studying for a long time and having some private time consuming issues, I finally got my MCSA 2008. I was so happy [​IMG] At the beginning of 2017 I started my new job as a system administrator (after 3 years being in a support function) and trough the year I have learned a lot. However, I want to get on with the certifications again (and learn new stuff).

I have the book "Upgrading your skills to MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-643)" right in front of me but browsing though I'm in doubt if it will be realistic for me to pass this in the coming months. I think I may lack experience at the moment cause at the job we are not working with 2016 and the books says it's not designed to teach you new things....

Also it took me +/- three years to complete the 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646 exams. The last exam was the most hard one I think, almost gave up on it [​IMG]

Would it be possible for me to pass the 70-643 exam next year if I had a hard time finishing the exams mentioned above?

Another possibility would be to 'start over' and study for 70-740, 70-741 and 70-742. ..

I am very curious what you guys can recommend me to do [​IMG]

Mark

Certifications: 70-680, 70-640, 70-642, 70-646
    JK2447 likes this.
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi Mark

I think you are absolutely right to question your ability to pass any exam where you don't work with the technology, this makes things a lot tougher. That said, you've passed some good exams and you're in the right role to be able to knock yourself up some labs that will help until your employer decides to go down the 2016 server route.
    Do you have labs/test servers in work where you can run trial versions of 2016? If not you could look to setup a server at home, a lot of us have the HP Micro servers or similar, or use the free Microsoft 2016 virtual labs here, which I would always recommend you do first before spending money https://info.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2016VirtualLabs.html

I would say with the right preparation there's no reason why a systems admin can't pass this. Personally and this is just my opinion, and in light of you passing say one exam a year on average, I would avoid going down the full MCSA route again. You've put in the hard work and need to work smarter not harder to update where possible.

Btw you're after the 70-743 here not 643, easily done.

Cheers
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    WinterBase likes this.
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

If you’re familiar with servers in general then I dont see why not.. set yourself up with a server at home which can be done free of charge using virtualbox and a 2016 iso which is available on the MS site.. when I was learning server stuff I learnt it all at home using youtube/udemy.. Im no master but I know enough to get me through my job. Go for it mate!

Also.. welcome to CF!

WinterBase likes this.