70-642 - Sybex or MS Press?

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Fanatical, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Hi guys,

work have finally got me on the road for the MCITP: SA cert and have purchased both the Sybex book and the MS Press set. I've been reading the Sybex book which is probably twice as thick as the Ms book but I wondered if anyone had used both books and which they felt was better to read first. I'm going to go for both if I can find the time to finish them but I'd rather start with one that was perhaps the most focused on the exam and then read the one that talked around the subject more.

Thanks.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done, on getting your work place to provide you with some support on getting MCITP: SA cert. In terms of books personally I've found the MS press book on spot but not indept enough.

I would first concentrate on the MS press book and afterwards the Sybex book if time permits. To be honest you're meant to read two books for any MS exam, well that's what I've been doing.

Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Thanks, I had a flick into the press book and it bore out your comment that the press book isn't as in depth as the sybex but certainly is easier to digest and work through quickly. So think that's where I will start afresh and then tackle sybex. Work has booked a 5 day intensive course in november as well so hopefuly during my time away for that I'll be able to finish off anything unread. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  4. ianconscious

ianconscious Bit Poster

Real world "hands on" experience, plus the MS Press book to guide your studies and keep you inline with the exam objectives is all you need.

Good luck!

Certifications: MCSE; MCITP; CCA, etc.
    WIP: JNCIS-FWV