70-640 no more...its the 83-640!!

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Stevemarsh99, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Stevemarsh99

Stevemarsh99 New Member

I have just tried to book the 70-640 exam after reading half of the study guide I have and prometric tell me they the exam has been replaced with the 83-640!!!

What does this mean for me??:eek::(

2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Don't panic, it looks like they are just changing the code for the exam, not the content.

http://transcender.wordpress.com/tag/83-640/

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Stevemarsh99

Stevemarsh99 New Member

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

The stuffs still the same, it's just arranged in a different way...

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Unlike the 70-640, the 83-640 contains a Performance Based component in addition to the standard exam item types.

So it's just not Q&A's, but also sims.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Stevemarsh99

Stevemarsh99 New Member

So how can I know what to expect on sims and expect on Q&A's??

This seems extremely frustrating as this is the first exam I have ever taken in this context (IT certs) and now I am starting to realise that the book I am over halfway through is aimed more at the Q&A! :ohmy

7. Qs

It's not 'aimed' at either. There is information in the book which you need to learn. The certification you get from passing the exam proves you have understood this information and can use it. So it shouldn't matter if it's Q+A or Sims.

Think about it... you wouldn't go for a job interview and then refuse when they ask you to prove you can do certain tasks.

Stop stressing and get it done :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Basically Q&A are asking you to answer questions in words. Sims are asking you to do the same thing, but in the context of showing with action. Same thing, different ways. If you know your stuff, you shouldn't worry.

If you're still worried and want to ease into MS exams, then I would say do the MCTS: Vista and the MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech first, then build up on the server stuff. Or alternatively do the Comptia Server+ cert.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Stevemarsh99

Stevemarsh99 New Member

But by sheer definition the multiple choice questions are easier, simple as that. The Measure Up! book I am working through has a little 8-10 set of questions in the multiple choice format and I am starting to get comfortable with that. Coupled with the fact they questions in the real exam might even over lap on occasion with the ones I have worked on in the practice quiz!

The sims would mean there is only one EXACT way of doing it right, and that is the Microsoft way.

Anyway, you all know this and there is no point in arguing what is better or not as it seems the test is now 83-640 only so I can't help feel my chances of passing have just been shrunk slightly. :cry:

10. Qs

This is down to opinion. One could argue that sims are easier because you get a proper feel for the question, using the interfaces etc. In addition, if you're looking for the easy way out then maybe you should re-think about doing the exam in the first place.

We're not arguing. The simple fact is that when you use the skills learnt from studying the exam in the real world it won't be multiple choice Questions and Answers, that's it. You won't have a list of four to pick from, you have to do it off your own back.

So long as you've revised well enough then you should be fine be it q+a, sims, ten pink elephants, whatever.

The best of luck when you attempt it.

Qs

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Any question is easy if you know the answer. Doesn't matter whether they ask a multiple choice question, a simulation question, or a fill-in-the-blank question... if you know the content, you can answer the question.

In truth, many people find the simulations to be easier... because they don't require that you memorize what some people believe to be "trivia".

That is inaccurate. The simulations don't care which method you use to perform the task as long as you perform the task correctly.

If you have the recommended amount of real-world experience with administering Server 2008, you'll be amazed at how simple the simulations really are when you finally sit down to take the exam. If you don't have that real-world experience... well, then, I guess it's gonna be more difficult. But that's ostensibly the point of these certification exams - to gauge your real-world experience with certain products - not to test your ability to memorize and regurgitate information.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You would think so yes, but if you take a look at some of the questions on exams like the 70-291, you would be wrong. Multi-choice doesn't = easy. Another reason for sim questions is to try and crack down on people who have just learnt the answers, but aren't able to translate their knowledge into actions.

None of the books or training courses will prepare you specifically for sims, they will teach you the knowledge and skills to do these things on real equipment and computers. If you aren't able to do that, it's pointless going for the exam in the first place.

It would be like reading a book on how to drive a car, then expecting a multi-choice exam to pass your driving test instead of driving the car itself. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada