70-536 pass mark and Transcender vs. SelfTest

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Hangleton, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Hangleton

Hangleton Bit Poster

Hi all,

Two questions:

First - What's the pass mark for 70-536? And does the pass mark remain constant or does it vary on occasion? Probably a daft question, but it will be my first Microsoft exam.

Second - I'm planning to use Transcender or SelfTest to prepare for my exam.. but I'm not sure which one.

I gather they're owned by the same company, Kaplan IT, and when I downloaded the demos of each, they looked pretty similar, if not the same.

But there's a price difference - SelfTest are charging $99, whereas Transcender is $149. SelfTest has a 'pass second time guarantee' and Transcender has a 'pass first time' guarantee. And the Transcender pack has a few more questions.

My hunch is that the tests are actually pretty much the same, but does anybody have any experience as to whether that's correct?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Certifications: MCPD EA, MCDST, MCTS SQL
    WIP: MCPD .NET 3.5, MCITP Vista
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You'll hear a lot of old crap about Transcenders and how they are 'official braindumps'. Take it from someone who has taken more M$ exams than you can shake a shitty stick at - Transcenders are NOT braindumps.

Thats got that out of the way!

However, Transcenders are pretty controversial in a lot of places because they DO provide questions that are, on occasion, remarkably similar to 'real' exam questions. I have seen a few questions arise on transcenders which were almost the same as ones I saw a couple of weeks later on the 'real' test. One in particular on my SQL Design exam was eerily similar - and I can see where people might get the idea that it was a dump question. However, I don't consider their products to be a braindump - they simply provide you with questions that are close to what you will see on the exam - NONE of the questions I have seen from Transcenders (and I can't stress this enough, NONE of them) have been 'actual' test questions.

I have never used SelfCert, so couldn't possibly comment on them.

Finally, I've not taken 70-536, but a guy in development at work has - he failed first time with 67% and passed second time with 74% - so I reckon the passmark is somewhere around 70%.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL This site is very pro Transcender and I have yet to read of any of our members slating them for being braindumps.

Out of the eight M$ exams I sat, I probably saw two questions which were similar, but then I can see it would be hard to have completely unique questions when you are restricted by the topics of the exam.

Transcenders are your friend, if you can afford them 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)