1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

70-463

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by Kala, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Kala

Kala New Member

My work wants me to take a 5 day course on Implementing a Data Warehouse and then take the 70-463 exam and pass it. I know how to write SQL queries and I have basic SSIS skills. I am very good at figuring out how to get things done that need to get done, but my general knowledge is very basic. I cannot imagine that I can learn enough in 5 days to pass this exam. Does anyone have any advice?

2. EagerDinosaur

EagerDinosaur New Member

I thought that 463 was fairly difficult, but not as difficult as some MS exams. It basically covers data warehouse design and SSIS features. I passed it just using the Microsoft training book, but it took me about 100 hours of study and practice. I passed 461 and 462 beforehand, which probably helped a bit. If the course is classroom-based, and the instructor has passed the exam and focuses on what's necessary to pass it, I would say it is possible (but a significant challenge). I recommend buying the Microsoft book and at least skimming it beforehand.

3. EagerDinosaur

EagerDinosaur New Member

You might also want to ask your employer to purchase a "Booster Pack" for 463 from Microsoft, which will allow you to retake the exam up to 4 times within 12 months if you don't pass first time. That's not much more expensive than sitting the exam once, and will only cost about 10% of the cost of the course. I'm a bit uncomfortable about Microsoft's permissive retake policy, but the exam does change a lot between sittings, and your employer is putting a lot of pressure on you.

4. Kala

Kala New Member

Thank you for your response and advice. I agree, it is a lot of pressure. I would like to take the course, but am not confident it will prepare me enough to pass the exam and I have never taken an exam until I felt confident I could pass it. I haven't been told what will happen if I do not pass it (I have asked). Is the Microsoft book you're referring to the "training kit"?

5. EagerDinosaur

EagerDinosaur New Member

Yes, it's the 463 Training Kit book I was thinking of.