70-431 MCTS: SQL Server 2005

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by Crito, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Crito

Crito Banned

I'm about ready to take this one. Only used the MS Press Training Kit though. Should probably have read the Exam Cram book too. Just seems lots of (under-qualified) peeps are passing this test without the requisite experience for a DBA (IMHO), so I'm not going to sweat it if those are the people I'll be competing against for gigs. I'm sure I'll smoke them in technical interviews regardless of their piece of paper.

I'm not terribly fond of the new designations anyway, to be honest.

In any case, since I did 70-293 for my MCDBA elective, think I might also take the two additional test required to complete my MCSA: 70-270 (XP Pro) and 70-291 (which is the scary one). After that who knows, I'll just be two away from MCSE though (70-294 and a design elective). ;)

Will post my feedback on the test here after I take it, pass or fail.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck Crito sounds to me like your head is well and truly screwed on mate!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Crito

Crito Banned

Forgot to update, I passed with a 982/1000. :biggrin

[​IMG]

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well then a belated congrats is in order 8) Thanks for coming back and putting my mind to rest :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Crito

Crito Banned

LOL, yes, well, I knew you were waiting with bated breath. :p

Am still recovering from 70-291, which I squeeked past last Friday with a 760 to complete my MCSA. :ohmy: Just dropped by to ponder going the next step and finishing up MCSE too... maybe later...

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Wow

Nice to see you on here Crito - How's IC going? Not been there for a while - found this forum was a little more 'local' to me so spend most of my time on here now.

Niiiiice score BTW - I haven't been that bothered about taking this since I moved away from DBA work and into security, but this might give me the impetus I need to recert - hey, you can never have enough letters after your name, right? :thumbleft

WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Congratulations on a job well done Crito..and a good mark too!

I am hoping to do the SQL 2005 stuff later in the year...

supag33k

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Hey! Another Tennessean... we're swarming the forum!!! :twisted:

Congrats on the passes, neighbor! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Crito

Crito Banned

Thanks all...

I occasionally still visit iCertify and TechExams forums. This one seems like a nice place too. Been spending most of my time on LinuxQuestions.org forums lately though, try to get my new 64-bit Fedora Core 6 machine up and running the way I like. Screenshot: http://4crito.com/screenshots/fc6_jan3.png

Near Nashville huh? Small world! I can sometimes be found hanging out in the Franklin/Cool Springs area.

Anywho, there are a few other books I've been wanting to read -- C# Step by Step and SQL Server Analysis Services Step by Step, both from MS Press -- so think I might put this certification stuff on hold a while. I've enough acronyms to put after my name for now anyway. 8)

10. BosonMichael

I live in Spring Hill, and work in Nashville, so I drive past Cool Springs daily. Let me know when you're nearby and we can do lunch! Lots of good places to eat around there.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. bigcitymike

bigcitymike New Member

Another Nashvillian here. Any thoughts on places that offer MS Cert courses in Nashville. It seems that New Horizons is the main game in town. Belmont looks as though it's offering a few select courses, just the basics.

12. BosonMichael

Athena does. MTSU does. Nashville Tech might. That said, why spend the money on a training course when there are plenty of good self-study tools available for Microsoft exams?

13. bigcitymike

bigcitymike New Member

Two words- Training Budget!

That being said, I was surprised how little Nashville tech offered. Not a single MS cert program. I'm interested in colleges, because I can parlay these courses as electives towards a higher degree sometimes. But anything taken at Athena or New Horizons you can't. I call it getting the best bang for the buck.

14. BosonMichael

You won't be able to at MTSU. Those courses are part of their Adult Continuing Education courses, and don't cost the same as traditional classes, nor can you get any sort of degree credit for them. You should check to see if Belmont is similar... courses related to certification are NOT usually allowed for college credit.

Training budget is all well and good, but you still have to take the time to take the class, and you may or may not learn as much in the training courses. Personally, I learn at a much faster rate than they can teach me in class. And my supervisors have always loved the fact that I save them money on training - they can put that money towards other things... my salary increases, for example. Just something to consider...

15. bigcitymike

bigcitymike New Member

I tend to do better hands on, but where I work the knowledge base is limited, so classroom is my other option. Also apparently our training budget is allocated separately from our annual budget. Any unused funds can not re direct to our general IT budget.

16. BosonMichael

Your knowledge base isn't limited with a good book, a training lab, and these forums. ;) If I had a training budget, I'd develop an excellent training lab.