70-300 - Solutions Architecture

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by toonfletch, Nov 2, 2005.

1. toonfletch

toonfletch New Member

Hello, as I mentioned in my introductory e-mail I'm putting my team of developers through the MCSD exams and I'm looking to start getting literature in for the 70-300 course.

Has anybody got any good recommendations for study aid and reference books for people leading up to the 70-300 exam for Solutions Architecture.

I've looked on Amazon (where I looked successfully books on 30-315, 30-316 and 30-320), but it doesn't seem to have a useful choice.

Any assistance much appreciated.

Cheers, Neil :blink

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I did 70-300 a few months ago and found the same problem.
    300 seems to test concepts that come up through the rest of the MCSD exams or through an understanding of the industry.
    About the only text I found for it comes packaged in the box set of Microsoft Press MCSD 'core requirements'. Even that's a bit disappointing - it's half the size of all the others.
    I think 300 is a cumulation of knowledge rather than a subject in its own right.
    Have you looked to see if transcender do a study guide for it?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. toonfletch

toonfletch New Member

Thanks for that. Do you think it would be useful to organise the training so that the 70-300 is done last (i.e. the developers have had more time to get to know most things), or do you think that by that point they should know enough to get by this exam (by then they will have done 70-315, 70-316 & 70-320).

Any views would be useful.

Cheers, Neil :blink

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'd do it last.
    That way you should have most of the information you need from the other modules. It would also help a bit if you'd managed to get a bit of practical experiece.

It was one of the 'shortest' exams I've done, only about 30 questions. The important thing was to be able to sift through the huge amount of information provided in the scenarios.

In most exams the answer is right or wrong based on what is or isn't possible. In this exam, many options were 'possible', but what you had to do was match the requirements of the scenario. I'm used to questions that say things like 'with the least amount of administrative effort'. This wasn't always the case with this one.

The worst bit was nearly all the questions had multiple answers, but rather than the usual 4, there were about 10 and the only clue you got was 'select all that apply'. It really didn't give anything away.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. toonfletch

toonfletch New Member

Thanks for the advice, I will take the developers down that route. Have a virtual pint on me.

Cheers, :morebeer