70-298?

Discussion in 'Security Exams' started by philbenson, Jan 6, 2006.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Calling out to anyone who has recently done this exam for some hints, tips etc. Taking it ASAP to complete my Win 2k3 MCSE.

It is a case study based exam, so obviously I'd be interested to know how many you get etc, etc.

After finding out that sims are now included in the 294 exam, I'm wondering whether this one will also produce some.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If it's anything like the case study ones were on the 2k Track then it will be 4 or 5 case studies with questions on each.

8)

3. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I've booked the exam now for Thursday next week (19th Jan). It's just a consolidation of all the security topics I've covered in the previous exams.

Want to get it done ASAP. Passing will earn me the Win 2k3 MCSE. Next immediate priority will be to get a JOB since I've been out of work since April. Once that goal is achieved, then we'll look at doing Exchange Server and ISA Server.

So second call for anyone out there with knowledge/experience of the 70-298 exam - make yourselves known!

4. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

So taking 298 tomorrow. The last exam for my MCSE, second time around. When I started this course - given that I have been in work since last April - I was hoping to complete within six months. We're just a little over that now, but only just.

There are very few people taking the 2003 track at my local training centre.

Next priority is getting a job cos otherwise what is the value in having MCSE, or any other certification. Once I'm back in employment, we'll be looking towards CCNA.

Wish me luck guys!

5. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Oops... That last post should have read "been out of work since last April"! Case of the alien finger syndrome again..

6. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

Good luck for the exam - hope it all goes well

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA
  7. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Thanks for that, how have you found the CCNA stuff compared to Microsoft?

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good luck for the exam tomorrow mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

Phil

Really enjoying the Cisco stuff, been working with it for a couple of years and thought I'd better do the exam at some point. Coming to it on the back of a few years with MS it was a refreshing change and the good thing is that it is mostly based on standards. So all my work with Catalyst 1900/2950's was'nt wasted when in my new job I found they had HP Procurve switches, likewise configuring devices like expand box's http://www.expand.com/ was much the same as configuring a router. All in all its broadend my experience and hopefully improved me as an engineer.

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA
  10. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Yes I have the same thoughts. There are a lot of people around who say that Microsoft exams are too biased towards simply promoting their own products rather than dealing objectively and generically with the theory and standards of networking.

I would very much like to delve deeper into the mechanics of the OSI model, and from what I've researched on the CCNA, it seems like that's exactly what its all about. Should be the perfect partner to MCSE.

11. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Hi guys.. Time to get the champers in ice again. Passed 298 this morningin with 919! Exam was 120 minutes with 34 questions comprising 5 scenarios. In a way its easier with scenarios cos all the info you need to answer the questions is contained within the text. It reminded me of the comprehension exercises I used to do at school.

So that's it.. Now got my Win 2k3 MCSE. Now I've just got to decide whether to do the Exchange and ISA Server exams. Ultimately want to achieve MCSE Security. Also keen to do CCNA. But first must get a job!

Thanks everyone for all the support and encouragement offered so far. This is a very useful little community to be a part of.

12. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

congrats on the pass :beers2

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Congrats Phil! :biggrin

14. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Thanks, doing this exam next Wednesday.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security