70-297 Help!

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by jamiec, Oct 27, 2007.

1. jamiec

jamiec New Member

Hi everyone I’m new to these forums. Anyway I want some help understanding the best way to tackle case study exams. I am currently study a MCSE course and taken the following exams already: 270, 290, 291, 293,294,284,282, A+, N+ but for the life of me I cannot seem to be able to pass the 297. It’s like a huge brick wall in my path to success. I don’t seem to be able to obtain the relevant information in the case study and have enough time to answer all the questions. I have even tried different tactics like reading the questions first and then looking for clues like “in the business and technical requirements” then searched but it seems this too hasn’t worked very well. The last attempt I took consisted of 6 case studies with about 46 questions.

I feel like Microsoft is testing me how quickly I can read. Surely in the real world your allowed a few more minutes before deciding on a solution.

:(

Certifications: MCSA, MCP, A+, N+, 293,294,284,282
    WIP: 70-297
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nooo, don’t tell me this mate; I’ve got the 70-297 to do next! :biggrin

What study materials have you used so far and what IT background do you have?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF and remember with hard work and persistence anything is achievable:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. jamiec

jamiec New Member

So far I have being using the Microsoft Press books and Measureup for the practice tests. To be honest I don’t think the 70-297 MS press book does much for me and now considering others before I retake the exam. I think my biggest issue is the exam format and analytical obtaining the correct info from the case study.

I have been working in the IT industry mainly for small to medium size business for the last 9 years support engineer. I now run my own small IT business and study whenever possible. I have been dragging on this course for too long now and really want to finish it.
    Have you taken any case study exams before?

5. Sparky

I did at uni, you need to able to identify the key points from the case study as quickly as possible.

Have you tried the trancender test questions?

http://www.transcender.com/

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. jamiec

jamiec New Member

There is a big cost difference between the Transcender and the Measure Up practice exams. I have also been a custom to the Measure up exams and have not tried the other. What do you think of Transcender is it worth £60? I take you have all ready been practicing with Transcender for the 70-297.

The real exams focus heavily on DNS design, RRAS, IAS, security / remote access policies, win2k3 migration from NT and not forgetting AD design. Again there is a lot on DNS with the odd WINs question put in.

I just looked at the Transcender Demo but it didn’t show me how they layout the Case study. It would be nice to get practice software to use similar layout to the real exam.

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Jamie, the full transcender is meant to be more intense than the actual exam, has lots of case study and long readings so should help you in defeating the 70-294. Best wishes:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. Sparky

Definitely worth the £60. I first used the Transcender test questions for the 70-282 as there is no MS Press book for that exam with the usual MeasureUp exams.

I find the explanations for the answers in the Transcender tests are of a higher quality than MeasureUp which is handy if you need to improve in certain areas. There are 12 case studies with the full version.

9. jamiec

jamiec New Member

Thanks, I will differently check the Transcender practice exams

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They're not testing you on how quickly you can read... they're testing you to see how quickly you can discard irrelevant information. Got a question on DNS? Well, knowing what speed network cards each PC has is probably not going to help you any... but knowing where the DNS servers are placed just MIGHT help you!

If you've got real-world experience (and you should, if you're trying to tackle the MCSE exams), then these "irrelevancies" become easier to easier to spot as you gain more and more experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!