70-294 QOTD for June 16th

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by tripwire45, Jun 15, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Rosy is studying Active Directory replication for her upcoming Microsoft certification exam. She is aware that several different types of information needs to be replicated in a domain including Schema data, Configuration data, Application data, and Domain data. She discusses her studies with her friend Gavin. Gavin says that different types of information use different topologies for replication. Rosy disagrees with Gavin and says that Active Directory uses the same topology for all the different types of data since all Domain Controllers operate on a peer model. Who is right? Choose only one answer.

A. Rosy is right. Active Directory uses only one topology for replication.
    B. Gavin is right. Each of the four types of data requires its own topology for Active Directory Replication.
    C. Gavin is right. Schema and Configuration partitions must use one topology, Domain partitions use a second and Application partitions must use a third because Application data does not need to be replicated to all domain controllers.
    D. Gavin is right. Schema and Configuration partitions must use one topology and Domain partitions use a second. In some cases, Application partitions may use a third topology because this data may not need to be replicated to all domain controllers.

Answer later.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Gavin says he is right with D, but is not too fussed at arguing with Rosy, as he does not want her opening up a mighty load of *whip* on his @ss. :cry:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

im gonna go for C and explain myself incase it turns out to be D

application partitions always use there own topology (a rather manual one), although sometimes they may be configured to replicate to every DC i dont see D as the correct answer, they dont 'somtimes use thier own topology' they always do. They are however 'only present sometimes' you dont always have applciation partitions if you know what i mean, perhaps the question was meaning that but im not convinced it was

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Correct answer is D. Application partitions may use a third topology because they don't have to be replicated to all DCs. If only select DCs receive the application partition info, the topology would be different than if all DCs got it.

Good one and not easy. More later.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Oh, I am trying sooo hard not to be smug here - mainly because I actually reckoned I knew thats why it was the right answer. :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

my argument was such that although it 'could' be replicated to all DCs its not the same system used to replicate domain info, hence i wouldnt call it the same topology (in ms terms) as its not created via the KCC et all
    its 'its own topology' even if it ends up mirroring that of other AD topologies

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0