70-291 Study Guide

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by craigie, Nov 11, 2008.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Study Time: Two Months (Two Hours Daily Min)
    Materials: MS Press Book 70-291 & CBT Nuggets
    Mock Exam: MS Readiness Review Suite
    Exam: 47 Questions With 1 Sims

Lab

3 x Windows 2003 Servers Enterprise R2 Edition
    2 x Windows XP Pro SP2 Clients

Configuration

Server01 Roles

Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, Terminal Server & File Server

Server02 Roles

WSUS, Print Server & IIS

Server03 Roles

Test Server For Child Domain, DNS, DHCP, RRAS, RADIUS Server

Deployment

My main aim here was to do all of the exercises in the MS Press book and ensured that it worked. In the end my lab consisted of the following:

DHCP - Created a 80/20 DHCP Superscope between Server01 and Server03 and implemented various prefills e.g. preferred DNS Server etc, deployed reservations and exlcusions.

DNS - Configured Primary DNS Zones, Secondary DNS Zones, Stub Zones & Active Directory Integrated Zones. Also built a Child Domain to perfrom Active Directory Integrated Zones across multiple sites.

Network & Performance Monitoring - Captured Network Traffic using Network Monitor and put in place various Counters and Alerts.

RRAS - Configured Server03 as a RRAS Server and created a few PPTP VPN's from an XP Client using different MPPE security encryptions. Also implented various Remote Access Polices.

Security - Deployed Kerberos and also IPSec policies and monitored these, e.g. IPSec Require Security on Domain Controller (and then watched how slowly my MS Virtual PC's ran!)

Subnetting - Just practiced this over and over and ran threw all of the MS Press subnetting questions three times over the two months to ensure that I can subnet.

WSUS - Redeployed WSUS Server as per 70-290 Study Guide http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread27970.html

The main piece of advice I would give is that Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure is a very dry topic which I found particularly hard to keep my motivation levels up. You just have to keep at it, every day, day in day out just keep plugging away and things will make sense. If they don't then ask here, your work colleagues, friends etc.

My study methodology, hasn't changed since my first exam. I'm of the if it's not broken then don't change it mentatiliy as it has proved successful so far!

1. I start of reading the MS Press book and make notes on relevant points that I could either forget or need to reinforce. I normally study for around 2 hours per day weekdays and 2 hours per day at the weekends. I manage to get the MS Press book down to around 150 pages of A4 note paper.

2. I would then at the end of each Chapter install and use whatever I had learnt from the MS Press book, configuring it to mimic my working environment.

3. Once I have finished the MS Press book, I then use CBT Nuggets. When I have watched the first objective video, I then take the Objective Exam in on the MS Press CD. The purpose of this is to reinforce the oldest material that I have learnt.

4. I then rebuilt my whole entire Lab, to reinforce everything that I had learnt.

5. I then keep going over my Notes on a daily basis at work, during lunch, in the evening. Just a brief flick threw.

6. The last of all I take the MS Readiness Review tests on a daily basis. Normally do around one a day for three days before the exam as not to get to many questions repeated. Also in my limited experience so far, the MS Readiness Review has always been alot harder than the exam.

7. Take the exam!

Hope that helps some people out and if you have any questions please ask.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Useful post as always m8.

Excellent refernce for those studying

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for sharing, that's definately helpful. Cheerio:) as I'd be sitting this soon.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback guys :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Yeah, really good post mate, nice one! Rep'd. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Excellent post, thanks for the info. :D

Going to be stating the beast myself early next year.

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  7. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Great post, will help me a lot.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Please I could help :D

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good read mate :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Excellent post!

I am going to kill my 70 290 lab (1xDC 1x Files server 2x xp clients) and set up another virtual lab with exactly the same setup of server and clients s you specify above.

I then rebuilt my whole entire Lab, to reinforce everything that I had learnt

Good call. Setting up another AD domain with a child domain and a DHCP/DNS server will jog my memory about the 290 stuff also.

Awesome advice.

Thanks again :)

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  11. merc190e

merc190e New Member

Hi i'm new here and have recently passed my 70-290 and am starting to look at 291, this info looks good for setting up a lab.

I have one question what software are you using? I was using Microsoft Virtual PC, but wasnt sure of the alternative?

Thanks in advance

Certifications: MCP 270, MCP 290, MCP 624, MCP 271
    WIP: MCP 272
  12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I also use MS Virtual PC 2007.

Might want to introduce yourself in the New Members Section.

13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Great post as always, Craigie (missed it before!)

I'll probably be following your lab advice as well - when I decide to go for this one :wink:

Might be a while though. If only I had 2 hours a day to study computing. lol. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hehe, I know :)

Just added going to the gym 3 x a week as well to my schedule, wife is becoming slightly unhappy :eek:

15. John Neerdael

John Neerdael Nibble Poster

Unhappy girlfriend because of studying, damn I know how thats like haha :biggrin Your not alone craigie your not alone.

WIP: MCTS: 70-640
  16. merc190e

merc190e New Member

Hi guys,

I need a little advise about the Virtual network i am trying to set-up using Virtual PC.

Right where to start, i have a DC which is acting as DNS/DHCP server and 2 XP clients. Going through the practices in the MS Press book i need the DC to be able to access the internet.

How do i set this up please? The main thing i am having trouble with is what ip addresses need to be assigned etc...

Or do i need a seperate server which acts as a gateway?

IP Range: 192.168.8.1 - 254 (where 192.168.8.1 is my domain controller IP)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0
    Gateway: 192.168.8.1 (DC/DNS server)
    Primary DNS: 192.168.8.1 (DC/DNS server)

Any help appreciated.

Certifications: MCP 270, MCP 290, MCP 624, MCP 271
    WIP: MCP 272
  17. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

If your using the DC as a RRAS NAT then it can be the default gateway.

However, for simplicity you can just change the Default Gateway to be your routers IP Address making sure its on the same subnet and you should be OK.

18. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

Excellent thread, rep given.

19. mmadani

mmadani New Member

Hello All;

Thanks for the references. I am in desperate need to have 70-291 Simulation videos. I just took it and I had 10 Simulations to do. Scored 555. I knew I had all the exam questions right or most of them, but I think the Sims weight lots now.

.:cry::rolleyes

Any help on where I can get the latest sims Please?

Thanks

Certifications: MCP. MCTS
    WIP: MCSA, MCSE. MCITP
  20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

We dont do cheating on here. You should be looking for decent practice exams from legit sources.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?