70-291 - Here I go again

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by ScoobyDoo, Jan 14, 2008.

1. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Hello again everyone,

I'm just about to start studying the 70-291 syllabus. I aim to finish the exam - & my MCSA - in May. I have the Exam Prep guide & MOAC materials. Any tips / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how difficult is it relative to the 70-290. I did not find my exam too difficult - but I did work very hard for four months.

SD

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Scooby Doodo, yeah I recently purchased the prelogic exam guide for the 70-291 and would be using testout including setting up several vm clients, dc, dns, dhcp and wsus. To wrap it all up I would be using transcender to practice for the exam formats.

I would be sitting the 70-290 very soon and would like to know what study materials you used for this exam if preplogic and how useful.

I think with most things as long as you work hard and understand the precepts you'd do fine.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, imo I believe that the 70-291 is one of the hardest exams in the 2k3 route, but that is my preceptive. However that doesn't mean that it isn't passable, I would also recommend getting some sort of test sim (Preplogic, transcender, Boson, measure-up, etc) to gauge how you are with the required skills and knowledge for the exam.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Hi,
    My materials :-

(i) I used a copy of Server 2003 + various XP client - all running on VMs
    (ii) W2003 Inside Out
    (iii) Microsoft MOAC materials + lab book + College course
    (iv) Exam Prep by Que (Will Schmied)
    (v) Microsoft Official Training Kit
    (vi) Lots of paper for taking notes / writing summaries & coffee for drinking/throwing at computer in frustration)
    (vii) Patience & dedication

(iii) & (iv) were the two best books.

SD

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks, but you did not say which exam prep you're using i.e exam cram, transcender, measureup or preplogic. Lastly, which of the above do you think helped you more towards achieving a pass in the exams.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I have to agree that the 70-291 is one of the harder exams for the MCSE, along with the 70-297.

Make sure you know WSUS inside out. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Sorry Sparky,

The book is Will Schmied's Exam Prep book by Que. I found this plus the MOAC materials & the time I took to create my own notes the best help. The VMs were superb.

SD