70-291 Help

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by zimbo, May 1, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im about to embark on this exam in the next few months. And wanted to know from you who have passed it if they could help me out with any tips or info or links or anything you think might help me with the exam??

I got the usual books ms press and sybex.. will setup my lab as needed and post my problems here (self-study route you see! :biggrin )

Thanks!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Learn IPSec.

Although I havent done the exam when I was doing the material that was the most difficult subject I found to grasp.

8)

3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

• if you have a book on 70-216 (the windows 2000 equivalent of 70-291), use it. most of it is still valid, or very similar.
    • play with the resource kit
    • if you have the hardware, use at least two servers in your lab and place them in different subnets
    • be sure to know your rras, ias, radius, encryption protocols, vpns, nat traversal, certificates (!)
    • know about ip addressing, dhcp implementation (clustering, dhcp relays, authorization), apipa and subnets
    • know about dns zones (stub!), (conditional) forwarding, dynamic updates, nslookup
    • know about ipsec, rsop (for ipsec policies), network monitor

4. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

ipsec isn't nearly as prevalent here as the 293, so while you of course need to know something about it, it's more along the lines of troubleshooting and applying default policies and doesn't get too detailed.

also about MS Press and Sybex books, i hear they are rated quite badly by most (or was that just the Sybex?), and i do know that Syngress is excellent for...everything. far more detailed. but as you have two books, that may suffice.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i got the 291 one books.. resource kit?? you talking about the books or the collection of tools you can d/l?
    I got vmware so ill be having a few servers.. im hoping to deploy WSUS too so i can learn the insides of that as a member server..

other than that thanks again! looks like ill have alot of questions on this exam because they are things i havent been quite exposed alot to.

6. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

just to let you know, wsus isn't used in the exam, they use sus.

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah i know thanks omni! thats just something extra for me! SUS is still in 291? Where? As for the ms press and sybex books yeah they do miss alot of stuff! Terminal Services is only appendix in the 290 book yet half the exam was on it! I use Server 2003 inside out too though..

8. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-291.asp

>Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining Network Security

Install and configure software update infrastructure.

* Install and configure software update services.
    * Install and configure automatic client update settings.
    * Configure software updates on earlier operating systems.

if i remember well it's also on the 293. part of security, you know, keeping your comps up to date with the latest patches and the like.

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ah darn! Thanks omni.. hadnt looked at the exam objectives till now! Oh well it can wait! :biggrin

EDIT: im going to hit them at the same time! I been wanting to for a while so nows the time! :biggrin YEAH! :onthePC :box2