70-291, failed! Any advice?

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by AddyR, Dec 7, 2010.

1. AddyR

AddyR New Member

Hi, I am new on this forum and would like some advice please

I failed 291 on 11/24, got 673. I've been studying about 5 hours/weekdays for about 2 months and thougth I was redy for I was getting 900 points on self tests. I've been reading the MS Press book, I read 20-791 books on Kindle, doing self tests, reading explanations on every question, but I did failed anyways! I dont have experience on Server, nor do I work in IT industry. I am usually motivated but many times find myself reading the books pages twice and content just does not stay on my head!! Just so you know, I am a slow reader for English is my second language (that explains my grammar lol).

The tests questions were surprisely shorter than the self test questions, I did get about 11 simulations (not kidding) but those were short simulations. I really dont know where to start now. I do have a second shot voucher I can use to retake it, but I am just so affraid to do it soon. I do have MS Readiness Review Suite, I might start reading over the questions (300 of them). I went through 234 self test questions and 540 flash cards trying to understand and memorize before I took/failed test.....:cry:

Anyways, I will really appreciate any comments/advice for me, and I apologize for my grammar.

Addy

Certifications: MCP, MCTS:Vista, Security+
    WIP: MCSA, MCSE, CCENT
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Many people fail this exam first time, and it is considered one of the tougher exams you will encounter on your certification journey.

I don't think you missed passing by much and would just spend some time focusing on the weak areas you had and get back on your horse and re-sit it.

You will nail it next time i'm sure! 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Ok, you've listed that you've done:

1. Books &
    2. Practice exams

You've also stated that:

1. You have no experience, either in IT or on servers

I will be blunt... These exams are not theory or academic, they do rely on some practical experience. Created yourself a good lab to practice on. Both myself and Modey created labs to practice with, even though we also work in IT and we still found the exam relative hard (Modey with the 291 and myself with the upgrade exam).

Also... Do not keep on using the self tests/practice exams over and over, normally practice exams will give anywhere from 1-3 different sets of questions. Over use them and you'll find that you'll be just remembering how to answer the particular question, instead of the concepts they are testing you on.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This advice is spot-on accurate, especially the experience part. The 70-291 exam is designed for people who have at least six months experience doing server administration... not just a six months in IT, but six months actually administering servers... which is not what you'll typically start out doing in IT.

I'd recommend pursuing some certifications that are relevant to getting an entry-level IT job. These entry-level certifications include the A+, Network+, and MCDST or MCITP client administration exams.

Hope this helps!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Just to echo points made already. Whilst it's possible to pass this exam without practical experience, it also makes an already difficult exam even more difficult. If you insist on going for it again, I wouldn't do it until you have a virtual (or physical) lab setup that can model all of the different scenarios you may encounter.

Ideally though, several months of hands on experience implementing this kind of technology is what would really help.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

It's very important with doing your MCSA/MCSE that you have a testing lab setup otherwise it makes it very difficult to pass.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011