70-291: Calculator in the exam...

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Sparky, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Simple question, even though I’ve taken 2 MCPs I didn’t need to use the calculator in the exam. None of the questions needed it.

The 70-291 is a different ball game though and I find myself using the calculator for subnetting questions. :blink

Is the calculator in the exam the same as the one included with Windows? Also does anyone have any 70-291 stories to share? From what I’ve read on the site it looks like a beast of an exam! :ohmy

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I believe that the calculator is the windows edition :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Sparky

One less thing to worry about! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No specific 291 stories but I can tell you that although 70-216 (the Win 2000 equivalent) was a very tough exam, which I failed on the first attempt, it was by far the most interesting and rewarding. The knowledge has turned out to be the most valuable of all the exams I sat. The topics covered are without a doubt the crème de la crème, so just get stuck in and enjoy the ride. If you fail Sparky, you will not be the first, just dig in deeper and sit it again.

Good luck :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yes - the calculator is (or was when I took 70-216) the MS one - complete with scientific mode for all those binary caluclations - not that you should need it, can't you subnet in your head? :eek: :D

Good luck with the exam - Bluerinse is right, if its anything like the 2000 track one was its going to be a bitch to pass, but you'll learn so much that it'll be worth it to you in the end. You'll need to know routing, Subnetting, DHCP, DNS, NAT etc like the back of your hand, but make sure you do a lot of research into the more obscure areas, like EFS, Certificate Services, Kerberos and (believe it or not) WINS - so much for the old 'you don't need WINS' crap!

I've never failed an MS exam, but this was the closest I ever came - I was in there for three hours, and just guessed at the answers to a couple of the questions at the end. I didn't get a score, but you have no idea how relieved I was when the message 'you passed' was displayed!

IMO, this is the exam where having a lot of 'on-the-job' experience will REALLY help you out.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Sparky

Thanks for the heads up guys. 8)

This exam does look tough but for some reason I’m looking forward to sitting it (remind of this after I fail!).

Seriously though the 70-270 and 70-290 were challenging exams but they are *nothing* like the 70-291 based on what I have studied so far. :study

I have some experience in some areas of the exam but configuring a Windows box as a router is something I wouldn’t do on a daily basis. Static routes RIP, NAT etc. is all stuff I have to deal with when I’m doing an installation so hopefully I can use it in the exam.

In the lab I have two DCs (replicated) with a split DHCP scope between both DCs so now I guess its time to get RRAS nailed!

I’m hoping to take the exam before Xmas but I’ll just see how it works out. 8)

7. DJ Prem

DJ Prem Bit Poster

The calculator is a basic, no scientific calculator. It does not even look nor function like the standard Windows calculator.

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I sh@t myself when I saw that a calculator was provided for my exams. I started to panic as I couldn't think of any possible reason for needing one!

:cry:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nonsense. The calculator IS the standard Windows calculator, and it DOES have the scientific functions. Seriously, why in the name of God would M$ provide VUE & Prometric with a 'non-scientific' calculator for the exams when the only reason - the ONLY reason - anyone would want to use it is for subnetting calculations?

Unless this has changed dramatically since I did my last M$ exam, ignore the above post.

10. Sparky

LOL, is that a wind up or what? :tongue

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Actually IIRC the calculator is not exactly the same as the windows one but it is close enough that you don't need to worry about it and yes it does have binary functions etc.

12. Sparky

Fair enough, but to say it is a basic calculator (DJ Prem) is slightly misleading.

Can you get Google on the calculator? :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - I wondered how long it would be before someone else on this forum started using a last.fm generated sig!

14. Sparky

LOL.. wonder where I got the idea from :tune

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well I would but I would need some control over the music I advertised - Depeche Mode Zeb, really :twisted:

16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

And?

I'm proud of absolutely everything I listen to. You'll find I have pretty eclectic tastes - everything from Death Metal & Grindcore to Techno and Jazz.

And Depeche Mode rules - Violator is one of the ten best albums ever made.

At least its not The Cheeky Girls or any of that shite thats regularly in the UK charts that sounds like two council estate rude boys having a row whilst someone tosses a shopping trolley down the stairs behind them.

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Just winding you up mate. You are entitled to listen to whatever music you like, even Depeche Mode.

Eclectic taste, hmmm maybe but I am not sure what comes between Death Metal and Grindcore to Techno and Jazz? They are not musical extremes, just different genres. For example do you like folk music, country and western, blues, rhythm and blues, ska, blue beat, blue grass, soul, classical, Tiny Tim etc? :p

18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

haha - you've probably just picked about every genre I DON'T like right there!

I hate country, chart pop, rubbish house, that shite that is allegedly 'R n' B' (though quite how R n' B evolved from Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes to Usher is beyond me), folk (except classical Spanish) and gabba/happy hardcore.

As for the genres I dolike, it would include most metal (not glam, and not black metal), most alternative, most 'real' dance, classical, opera, jazz, blues, 'real' R n' B, hip-hop, rap (although not very much released in the last six years or so), soul, emo, punk, hardcore, post-hardcore, rare groove, ska, old roots reggae and dub.

My MP3 player is a bit of a mixed bag!

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

personally I like any music as long as it is good, unfortunately that proviso cuts out about 99% of all the tracks that have ever been recorded.

My preferred band after all these years, is still Pink Floyd. I have been listening to them for 35 years and they still hit the spot. Dave Gilmore is a master 8)

Don't tell me you're a Genesis fan :twisted:

20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

uuuurggghhh - no. Genesis achieve the physically impossible, by managing to both 'suck' and 'blow' at the same time... :biggrin

I love Floyd - Dave Gilmour is one of the reasons I picked up a guitar 18 years ago! I'll nver forget the day I first played the song 'Time' all the way through flawlessly. I felt like weeping - I'd wanted to play that song since I was about thirteen and when i finally nailed the solo it was like 'I've made it in life' :p