70-290 Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by dalsoth, Feb 12, 2009.

1. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Well i am due to do my 70-290 tomorrow and i am not really confident this time at all. I know the content and can perform any of the tasks asked in the questions but really found it tough going using the MeasureUp tests a few times from the MS press book 2nd edition.

I know it is down to deciphering what the question is actually asking as they can be pretty cryptic but compared to the 70-270 exam, the MeasureUp questions for 70-290 are a nightmare. Seem to get about 60 odd percent when i was doing about 40 questions but i admit i was not paying 100% attention to them and made a few silly mistakes. When i did some questions from a CBT i was getting 85% or more. I expect the MeasureUp is closer to the mark.

I also have not given myself enough time to pass this exam as i still haven't even started the Exam Cram 2 book yet and the exam is tomorrow.. :rolleyes: Will have a look at the cram sheets in the morning that i downloaded from a link Ken supplied in another thread (thanks:thumbleft).

Time seems to have flown by in the last couple of weeks since i finished ITIL and started to study this one. Perhaps i should have done as some of you suggest and booked the exam pretty late on when i felt ready.

Ah well i will give it my best shot and let you guys know how it goes. My nightmare is that i have to study this for another few weeks if i fail. Feel a bit burned out as i have been doing 3-4 hours a night this week after work.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best of luck mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Good luck buddy.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Good luck!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Good luck.

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  6. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck mate, don't forget to let us know how you get on :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: PGDip Cyber Security
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Good luck mate! :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

Good luck, the Exam Cram book is really good - I used it too and found it more direct than Sybex, helped me alot!

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  9. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

You need to get in the right frame of mind by staying positive.

You will do it.:rocks

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  10. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

"Do, or do not. There is no ‘try’."
    - Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back
    :llying

11. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

The lil green guy had it right! I PASSED woohoo :biggrin:biggrin

I got around to studying the tear away sheet of the exam cram before it was time to go to the exam. Had enough time to scroll through some of the IT idiots videos for the 70-290 on areas i felt weak also. Those areas tended to be the performance logs and alerts stuff where those percentages just don't stay memorised in my head.

Scored 840 which is more than acceptable i guess considering the lack of study and panic i was having about it. Won't say too much about the exam due to the NDA but i had 43 ish questions i think and a few sims. The questions i think i got wrong were the ones that i would be able to do in the real world but were more about if i knew where a particular tick box was in a particular utility. If they were sims i would find it in 5 secs but ah well....

Happy now. Just checking this MCDST out as it is really tempting. Anyone know if it is similar to the 70-270 as i am really tempted to go and book it for a week or so. Or am i just being a really crazy? I have both MS Press books. Also have supported users on all the stuff covered in it for a fair few years.

Thanks for the support and advice!! :D

12. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

I knew you would pass! You used The Force didn't you!:D

13. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Good job buddy.:) good score!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  14. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Well done! :D

15. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Good job!

In relation to the MCDST, I reckon you would blitz it :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Congrats. As you've done the 270 and have plenty of expreience you should find the MCDST easy enough. :)

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  18. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

MCDST is easy compared to 70-270.

You do need to know more about supporting IE and MS office 2003 though.

Mercury

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  19. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys.

I think i will book the 70-271 for next week and then see how it goes. Hopefully it qualifies for second shot also. Will have a look at the 70-272 after that perhaps a week or two later as i think i will need to brush up a bit on the way MS handles certain stuff in that. My own preferred methods may be completely different.

I did intend to go straight into 70-291 but i think i need something easier in between as that one looks nasty! :cry:

20. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs