70-290, SUS or WSUS?

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by cellardoor, Nov 20, 2008.

1. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

Am I right in thinking WSUS has replaced SUS and I should be looking at this for my 70-290 exam? Cheers if you think you can help.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA
  2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

SUS(software update services) is a client-server application that enables a server on an intranet to act as a point of administration for updates. updates are then approved for SUS clients, which then download and install the approved updates automatically without requiring local administrator account interaction.

WSUS(windows server update services) is afreely available add-on component for windows server 2008 that functions as a MS update server in environment. Instead of havin every pc in an organisation download megabytes worth of updates over the internet, the wsus is configured to be the only computer that receives downloads then the other client pcs is then onfigured to use thewsus as the source of update files.

Basically, these perform the same function; technically they dont, but to answer your question, 70-290 deals with sus, but 70-646(MCITP server 2008 admin) deaks with the wsus.. so expect sus on 290 exams. Goodluck on the exam

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

Cheers mate. I'll study SUS then. :)

4. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Had a few WSUS questions on my 70-290 on Tuesday so you would be wise to study both mate.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

If I recall correctly the offical MS Press Book recommends learning WSUS.

I also wrote a Study Guide which can be found here

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Advice from paper MCSE's who have braindumped their way to certifcation should be taken with a whole quarry load of salt. If you actually had any experience, then you would know that your answer is a load of nonsense.

WSUS not only features in the 70-290, it also features very heavily in the 70-291 which you 'passed' recently. Or did you forget that already? No doubt a side effect of cheating your way to an MCSE in 6 weeks.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Dude, see here:

No where does it state that this exam only covers SUS. Microsoft do periodical updates to their exams to keep the exams up to date, so I would strongly recommend looking into SUS, WSUS 1, 2 and the newer version 3 which is MMC based.

That sounds to me (plus actually using both version), that technically they do the same thing (provide updates), just WSUS uses newer methods & different ways.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Definately study WSUS. When I did my exams 3 years ago SUS was already on its way out.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Uhm, WSUS just being server 2008?? :noway

I'd just say what everyone else has really. I never actually got round to learning SUS, but did learn WSUS before embarking on my exams....a very good choice.

But as Ken said, you could well find questions on SUS as Microsoft do like to throw in questions about older technologies as well.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  10. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Elephant in the room?:thumbleft

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  11. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Repeated for truth.

Bad advice Obinna, if you don't know what you're talking about don't try and advise others.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  12. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Take heed people

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  13. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

Yes indeed bad advice. Thanks for trying to help...I think! MS Press book put me right.