70-290 Sims

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by MILLWALLFC, Sep 23, 2005.

1. MILLWALLFC

MILLWALLFC Bit Poster

I have taken this Exam twice this week and have scored 611 each time meaning im not allowed to take this exam again for two weeks.

I think the sim questions may have got me, now i have been practising quite a bit with Windows Server 2003, does anyone know any software or a site which may give you some examples of Simulations you should study for.

Also any other advice on gaining the extra 89 points. I have been using the MS Press book, Learn Key and a couple of other books also.

I have also been taking the transcender and the majority of the time am doing quite well. I think i need to practice more on the simulations.

Thanks in advance.

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

build a lab
    get some hands on
    generally helps

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Use the reset button on the sim.
    Lets you start over if you go wrong.

8)

4. MILLWALLFC

MILLWALLFC Bit Poster

Yeah i discovered that button today, how many point do you think each simulation is worth. Im thinking quite high as i was confident on the questions i answered.

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Not sure, someone said that they thought they were worth 100 point each. But Truthfully I dont think antone except the exam developers know. Some of them may be worth more than others.

Its like all of the questions on the exams, you just dont know how they are weighted.

8)

6. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Just out of interest, what type of question featured heavily in your exam MillwallFC??Sittin mine on monday and not looking 4ward to it!!

:)

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  7. MILLWALLFC

MILLWALLFC Bit Poster

I got a lot on Terminal Services

8. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Kool, iv heard that terminal services features heavily in it, not really worried about that. Pretty sure im clued up enough on that so fingers crossed

cheers

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  9. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I read somewhere that the sims are scored heavily. But then again a tutor at my local training centre has said that after picking random questions from the pool on the day of the test, a random algorithm is applied which effectively means there is link at all between the types of question and the marks each carries. Indeed some questions don't carry any!

I just assume all the way through the test that I am on the borderline between passing and failing so. Its easy to be mislead into assuming a question of only a couple of lines of text and straight A, B, C or D options is only gonna be worth a couple of marks. Every question may make the difference between a pass or a fail so treat every one equally.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The sim questions are a bit of a mystery.

The thing is, do you get penalised for getting the right answer, even if you take a bit of a detour, or is it better to reset?
    Do you get penalised for using reset too often?

My first sim question I had to reset several times.
    On the others, I didn't bother, I just muddled through without resetting. And failed by 50 points...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. gbhpboy

gbhpboy Bit Poster

I would agree that the SIMs are a mystery. I tried hard to find out how they were marked but didn't get very far, other than to find out you can get full marks and the "right" answer with many different combination of keystokes, and as long as you end up with what they want without making any mistakes, then you're okay.

You mentioned you were doing the Transcender tests, well they now come with Simulators. I'm doing 291 at the moment and have the latest Transcender tests, and the simulations are identical exactly to what you do in the exams in terms of the simluated desktop format, popups, everything. Try and upgrade you Transcender tests to the latest ones.

It took me two attempts to pass 290, but the second time around when I knew about the simulators, I found the sims dead easy, they have to be, Microsoft don't have the energy to come up with anything to difficult because they then have to write a complex marking scheme.

I bet you MS will have only 6 to 8 different sims they have in their kit back, and that the transcender tests will cover all of those. This statement hold true so far from what I have heard via posts for 291.

Good luck next time.

Certifications: MCSA2003(Messaging)