70-290: Problem with Lab

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by ManniX, Mar 20, 2009.

1. ManniX

ManniX Bit Poster

Hi I'm not having any luck trying to solve this myself so I figure a post here has nothing to lose...

I have Server01 as the DC and Server02 as a terminal server. Both can access each other's shares but only Server 02 can logon to Server01 and not vice versa. In addition, I can't access the domain from Server02 when adding/setting permissions from computer management, only Server02 appears in the "From this location" field. If i remotely manage Server02 from Server01 I can access the domain when setting permissions for groups only, however any permissions I set in this way are ignored by Server02. For example adding the Remote Desktop Users group to Server02 should allow me to logon with a RDU but Server02 gives me incorrect logon credentials as an error when I attempt to logon.

It is almost as if Server02 is not a part of the domain, but it definately is, I have attempted rejoining, restarting and deleting Server02 from AD Users and Computers, all have no effect.

Port 3389 is forwarded for both servers and Windows Firewall is turned off for both. I'm going round in circles on this one. I am going to try promoting Server02 to DC and see if it solves it, this won't be a solution however as I need Server02 to be a terminal server.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+.. I guess?
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Might want to introduce yourself first before asking for advice.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. ManniX

ManniX Bit Poster

Oh ok, I didn't realise that was nessecary. I skimmed over the rules but couldn't see anything mentioning that. If I get time I'll do it later.

Apologies if I've broken any customs, I just like to get straight to the point.

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

You haven't broken any rules, but people are more likely help to help you if they know:

- Something about you
    - Your background e.g. current job role what your trying to achieve
    - What your studying for

Your asking for someone to give you there time, so you need to entice them to do so.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Cookies are good. As is Southern Comfort/Money/Video Games :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. ManniX

ManniX Bit Poster

Mmm cookies, they're good but Millies seems to charge more for them whilst making them smaller every year :/ Or maybe I'm just imagining that.

Anyway I just made an introduction for myself here and apologies again for not doing that first.

I've also half solved my lab problem, I can now see the domain from Server02 when setting permissions (y) but I still can't logon to 02 from the DC, but that's not a huge problem because I can still remote desktop in.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sorry mate but what do you mean by 'logon to 02 from the DC' ? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

The most likely reason that only server01 can login to server02 as server01 is probably your first server and hence it most likley hosts all of the FSMO roles.

- Did you clone Server02 from Server01? If so they will have the same SID, you need to remove from the domain run newsid then rejoin back to the domain
    - Have you enabled Group Policy to enable Remote Desktop Connections?