70-290 Preperation

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Ally, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

As i mentioned earlier i sit the exam on Monday and am a bit worried about it. I am doing my MCSE thru an IT training company so my provided materials are the Microsoft Multimedia and the MOC 70-290 which i have also been provided!I am not currently working in IT as am dedicating all my time to try and get qualified as quickly as possible.
    This slightly worries me that i have no hands on experience of Server 2003 in an IT environment. I have a test lab set up at home but due to cash limitations only have 1 DC and 2 XP clients, which i use extensively. However im still not sure if that will be enough and also if the MOC book used along with the Microsft web site will give me the required knowledge to pass!! Can anyone give me there opinion on this???

thanks

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If you know your topics inside out then you should be ok.

MAke sure that you thrash the hell out of your lab, and do all of the practice labs in your books.

Although you only have one actual server to play with you will need to make sure that you are fully aware of how servers comunicate with each other, and how they replicate information between different sites.

8)

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Ally. It seems like we're in the same boat only a couple of months apart though. I started my course 3 weeks ago with the plan being 290, 291, 270 and then 350. Talk about the deep end. I also think the MOC is nowhere near enough information you need to have. It's a bit late now but I would have advised you to
    get VMWare and try to set your 'lab' up like the MOC setup. I've done this and it's a big help.

As Simon pointed out though do as many of the labs as possible. Also check out Cramsession and download the study guide pdf and give it a read.

HTH

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Yeah just as i thought. Im doing my training at an IT centre so have been doing extensive labs through the MOC book as well as multimedia training material. I didnt think the book wud b enough in itself but have used the microsoft site and measureup and test king practice exams so fingers crossed

thanks

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Oh Oh! Steer clear of these! I'll let others say why. :(

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

test king practice exams -> braindumps -> cheating -> possibly illegal -> devalues your cert -> you could have your cert removed by MS if found to have been using them -> NOT GOOD.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Whats the problem with them? Must admit to being less than impressed with test king so therefore used it sparinlgy. Thot some of the questions were worded badly and a lot of the answers seemed fairly dubious 2. Measureup i thot was ok, used it for 70-270 and thot it quite closely resembled the actual exam format etc!!I take it u dont recommend either of these?

8. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Sorry, jakamoko replied before i saw ur reply. I have heard repeatedly about the so called 'brain dumps', was unaware this applied to test king tho!as i said i was unimpressed with it anyway. I take it measureup is ok??

thanks

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

See Jak's post.

The measure up stuff is ok, as these are endorsed by MS.

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

No worries Ally - it's generally easy to tell when someone genuinely doesn't realise they are complete cr@p and are using them through "innocence/ ignorance", and those who are clearly intent on cheating the exam. Clearly you fall into the former, so I felt it would be better to clear it up early doors (or rather, help Simon to).

Cheers m8y :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

no worries, thanks for clearing it up!Quite simply i cant understand why u would want to 'cheat' your way thru an exam!! (a)there wud no self satisfaction and (b)surely u wouldn last 2 minutes in a job, thats of course if u cud bulls@#t ur way thru an interview in the first place knowing nothing lol

thanks