70-290 Pass Rate

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by ryanthelion84, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I work in a training centre and we use MU as a practise tool. They do a fairly good job. You get a good impression what your weak points are.

On the scoring methode: why should they not use %? No one here knows for sure how MS scores the exams. And those who do know, are not allowed to tell. They give the score as a number from 0 to 1000 (most likely) but that could be % as wel. We do not know if all questions are score equally. We do not know if questions are scored partially. MS says they might, but they do not say they do.

Bottom line: if you know your stuff, you will pass.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you knew the criteria for becoming a "Microsoft Official Practice Exam Provider", you'd realize that the designation doesn't make them better. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Tinus1959

May be, but if the official MS site tells us to use MeasureUp or SelfTestSoftware, and we would opt for Boson, students (and their bosses) could easally hold that against us. That said, MU is not that bad. It has some flaws, but the whole product is not bad.

4. BosonMichael

Is not bad... but is not the best. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Tinus1959

I agree, but that is not the point.

6. BosonMichael

Ah, but it is the point. :) Their product simply cannot give you an accurate gauge of your progress after you've taken even one exam. If your students and their bosses ask you why, you tell them why, and you come out smelling like a rose.

We will never be an official Microsoft Practice Test Provider because we will not give them editorial review of our content, and we will not force a product out (regardless of it's quality) within x number of days after Microsoft releases an exam. Because that's what Microsoft requires to be "official". If that's what it takes... we decline. We prefer to craft a high-quality product.

7. johncc

johncc New Member

I took this test today and can confirm that there were 40 questions, including about 8 simulations.

The pass mark is 700.

I passed using MS Press books, and TestOut and Career Academy DVDs. Also did quite a lot of 290 reading over at Google Books (hundreds of sample book pages available to view.)

Certifications: MCSA, MCSA+M, MCP, A+
    WIP: Python PL
  8. bizexpert

bizexpert New Member

I am dubious about my sons driving instructor and how long he has been one. He doesn't seem very professional in his approach, and my daughters instructor said she has never seen him at the test centre. Also, she said, because his rates are lower, maybe he is not properly qualified yet. Is this possible? I thought maybe there is somewhere I could find out whether he has a good pass rate or not.

9. BosonMichael

Is there anywhere we can find out if you've got a good spam rate or not? :dry